Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thin 1969 US Quarter

I have a 1969 US quarter (no mint mark) that is very thin and when dropped it has a sound similar to a silver quarter. The thickness is that of a dime but it is the diameter of a standard quarter. Was there something different in the minting for some 1969 quarters?

Thanks...

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very hard to tell without photos. It would be possible that it would be an off-metal strike struck on an incorrect planchet, or silver planchet. Could you get an accurate weight?

And image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the 1960's there were some quarters that were struck in error on planchets punched from dime stock clad rolls. We need pics and an accurate weight to help you further.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Becky
  • Where are the pictures to see it
  • First - thanks for the welcomes!

My first attempt at taking such close ups - hope the detail is sufficient.

Thanks again.
  • First off welcome and glad to see another Pats fan here.
    Can you weigh it?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • BoSox and Pats fan, not a Jets fan, go Steelers!

I unfortunately do not have a scale yet, but can certainly tell that it is lighter than another 1969 quarter. It is about 20% thinner than another quarter of that year.
  • Can you show an edge view?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

I've never heard of a Philly struck quarter on dime stock from that era but it is possible.

Most of these are '70-D with a few '71-D's and a smattering of '72-D's. There are several
    oddballs as well.

The obverse of the coin doesn't look right. I'm wondering if the rim might have been removed.
    Try balancing two quarters on a something like a popscicle stick and then substituting this one
    for each in turn. If you still think it's light then I'll guess it is on dime stock or something wrong.
    Tempus fugit.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you see the copper core on the edge, all the way around the coin. I kinda recall seeing a quarterstruck on a planchet missing the core, basically it was both halves of the cladding welded together. The speculation was that when the strip was made the copper core ran out just before the cladding. The most likely thing is that is is rolled thin, with an exact weight folks here can tell if it was rolled to dime stock thickness or just randomly thin.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting how the outermost portion of the lettering near the rim appears to be incompletely struck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • It is a quarter on dime thickness stock, most likely, and the appearance of the coin in the photos is correct for a dime stock quarter. If it weighs 4.3 grams, it is on dime stock. There are examples known for 1969, although it's a tough date for dime stock quarters.

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file