Home U.S. Coin Forum

what are die scratches or polish lines

I studying Lincoln Matte Proof's. And both Mr Flynn and the Counterfeit Detection booklet talk about die polish lines and die scratches. what is the different?

Thanks
Collector

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that die scratches are unintentional and perhaps random.

Die polish lines are intentional and show up as parallel lines (most times).

Perhaps there's a better or another answer but, that's my take!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die polish results in very fine parallel hairline scratches produced during the finishing of the die while die scratches are heavier/coarser scratches that are a result of mishandling of the die by a mint worker.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You might want to double check this – it was on the internet under wikifarts:

Die scratches occur when a die gets an itch and rubs against another die. The sharp edges make scratches. Also, happened in 1888 when the mint’s cat, “Pancake,” got caught between two dies in a press and its claws scratched the die.

Die polish lines is a corruption of the phrase “Die Poliska Lions” which refers to the animals in a traveling circus in Poland run by the Peoples Happy Smiling Police during the communist era. The lions always looked bright and shiny because they had a good diet of political prisoners.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    die polish lines will be on the fields, and the lettering or portrait 'breaks' them.

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an unusual but apt example of die polishing (lathe) lines.

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at a $2.50 gold liberty. It was a Charlotte mint. It had striations on the obverse and reverse. How badly does that affect value? Nice coin, but the lines were on the portrait and across the shield of the eagle...
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If striations are mint made and especially on a southern mint coin they shouldnt affect values at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file