Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp 1816 Brazil 960 Reis over Spain 8R How does PCGS grade these?

Just won this nice overstruck 960 Reis. It looks to be on a 1808 or 1809 Spain 8R. It looks to be a well preserved original coin underneath. I haven't seen one on a Spanish one before. Are these much rarer? I first spotted this for the nice toning and condition then spent a bit of time trying to figure out the host coin. Can't wait to get it in hand. I am sure I will be able to figure out the date.
Let me know how you think I did.

One more question. Does PCGS grade with the host coin noted or is that an extra fee?

thanks,
Richard
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Awesome looking coin with strong impressions of the undertype. All my 960's are overstruck on Spanish colonial 8R's rather than the ones from the mother country and I've not seen one like yours.

Coincidentally I won a new 960R just last night that appears to be double struck on the coat of arms side.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice and crusty
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome looking coin with strong impressions of the undertype. All my 960's are overstruck on Spanish colonial 8R's rather than the ones from the mother country and I've not seen one like yours.

Coincidentally I won a new 960R just last night that appears to be double struck on the coat of arms side.

image >>

Cool.
    I always like nice striking errors, too.
    Richard
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, like that you can see parts of the host coin. I have no idea about the rariety. Good purchase.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one of those, once. It was nice, too. With clear undertype details.

Yours is nicer, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Does PCGS grade these with the host coin attributed or is that an extra fee?

Thanks,
    Richard
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Good question that should be called in to customer service.

Nice coin.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does PCGS grade these with the host coin attributed or is that an extra fee?

Thanks,
    Richard >>

I've had several graded that do not attribute the host coin.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.