Home U.S. Coin Forum

1892-S question for Morgan experts.

Is the '2' in the date normally out of alignment, otherwise not "match" in size with the other digits, or is that a sign the coin has likely been altered; also how often does one encounter an altered date 1892-S; I'm referring to circulated VF-XF examples in the 100-175 range, which hardly makes me think it worthwhile for anyone to alter one, but I feel like asking. Thanks.

Comments

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Here's a photo of my VF 92-S. Hope this helps.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not so sure that one is VF- Lets see the reverse

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be a VAM-12. Check here, there are some others for the date that you can look at.

VAM World
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
    Its borderline VF 35+/ XF 40. I bot it raw about 5 years ago for $55 at a coin show in Holmdel NJ.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the '2' in the date normally out of alignment, otherwise not "match" in size with the other digits, or is that a sign the coin has likely been altered; also how often does one encounter an altered date 1892-S; I'm referring to circulated VF-XF examples in the 100-175 range, which hardly makes me think it worthwhile for anyone to alter one, but I feel like asking. Thanks. >>

Smoeone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC one of the characteristics of the 90s minted Morgans is that the date rises as the numbers progress thru 189X that is to say they get farther from the rim.
    theknowitalltroll;
    Interesting, here's a 93 P & 94 - S that definitely rise, but a 96 - S that is aligned with the 9.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the '2' in the date normally out of alignment, otherwise not "match" in size with the other digits, or is that a sign the coin has likely been altered; also how often does one encounter an altered date 1892-S; I'm referring to circulated VF-XF examples in the 100-175 range, which hardly makes me think it worthwhile for anyone to alter one, but I feel like asking. Thanks. >>

Smoeone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC one of the characteristics of the 90s minted Morgans is that the date rises as the numbers progress thru 189X that is to say they get farther from the rim. >>

That would be the VAM 12 that I pointed out on VAM World. There are several dates on morgans that have a slanted date and they are not limited to the 90's.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • You guys definitely answered my questions and posted some nice circulated examples as well; also a thread with no arguments, for a change!
    Thank you all very much...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file