Home U.S. Coin Forum

Plate Coins..........

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
Skymans post got me to thinking.

Back in the days before digital photography and the Internet, possessing a coin which was photographed for a coin publication (Auction Catalog or Numismatic Publication such as Penny Whimsey or even the older Redbooks) was a pretty big deal. Especially since coin photography was only for professional photographers and was quite expensive for consumers.

The term "plate", is an old photographic term which refers, literally, to glass plates which had light sensitive emulsions on them which captured the image from the camera. The quality of the emulsion on plates, far exceeded that of film so the process was kept intact until the mid-1970's, usually producing high quality photographs which were suitable for publication.

Aside from publications produced upto the 70's, is having a "plate" coin really that big of a deal? Is it really any different than having Todd or Jeremy photograph your coin or is it merely the fact that the coin is in a numismatic publication the important factor? (Excluding Coin World of course. image )

At what level of publication would a Plate Coin be considered significant?
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think plate coins can be significant if they -

1. Are the pieces chosen by a well known collector to represent that particular type or date/mint mark in his or her collection. For example, if Roper chose a colonial piece for his collection, that's significant because he built one of the finest known colonial type sets and each of his coins was a really nice example for the type. A coin plated in a catalog of the sale of a well known collection typically means that particular coin was further chosen by the catalogers as a spectacular piece within the collection.

2. Are pieces chosen as representative examples to illustrate a particular type or date/mint mark by authors of definitive numismatic reference books.

A plate coin usually means the coin met the standards and was "good enough" for the collector, author or cataloger.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you say is true. Did you know...in Japan, fatal motor car accidents are required to be photographed in stereo on glass plates? Kodak still makes glass plates, half its production goes to Japan...for the mentioned reason.

One piece I had considered is/was used to illustrate REDBOOK for that type; but, no mention of that fact appeared in any auction writings for it. I would have though that significant.

OLD plate coins seems to hold significance, at least the mention of Ralau plate coin for one of the feuchtwanger store cards may have helped it reach 17.5K in bidding...
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think that a plate coin these days is all that important. IMO it is more of a pat on the back to the owner that their coin is an attractive example (or if the coin is not attractive it could possibly be unique). IMO the images of my coins that Shane or Bob are kind enough to do are superior to what the PUBLISHED images were in Tomaska's book (I have no idea what the digital images that he took look like).
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PCGS chose to use my 1961 proof cent:

as their photographic representative of the Memorial Cent series in Coinfacts, does that make it a Plate coin?
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the coins contained in Coin Facts considered plate coins?
    Just curious.

Edited to add:
    Sorry renomedphys, I didn't see the same question in your post as I was blinded by the cent....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If PCGS chose to use my 1961 proof cent:

as their photographic representative of the Memorial Cent series in Coinfacts, does that make it a Plate coin? >>

I, somehow, don't think so. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My copy arrived today and as Broadstruck noted, my NewP Feuchtwanger Cent 4E is indeed the plate coin in "100 Greatest American Tokens and Medals". Coming in in 4th place, the Feuctwanger Currency is illustrated by a full page photo of this little gem. Its from the Q. David Bowers Collection. He must have used it since very few Feuchtwanger Cents are fully struck on the body of the eagle. Quite an honor to have the 'poster child' for the series!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I call that a Fire and Ice Coin. Wow!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This little beauty is the plate coin on THIS
    Under THIS section for Pope Pius V

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the coins contained in Coin Facts considered plate coins?
    Just curious. >>

Web based plates can vanish in an instant... Book plates take a few hundred years to turn to dust! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    JRocco, that is seriously cool! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file