Home Sports Talk

Worst Player on 2011 HOF Ballot

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
Bill James is ranking all 36 candidates at his website (sub required, but it's cheap). He has Lenny Harris at #36. He notes that Lenny had an 18 year career, but was never a regular. That's hard to do.

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I loved Lenny when he and Kalvoski Daniels were traded from the Red's to the Dodger's. Awesome utility player.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Daniels was terrific for a short period. Bad knees as I recall.

FWIW, I read today's posting. Jack Morris comes in at #21.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Harris made $11 million and change, no wonder he hung on for all those years!!
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Clearly its Tim Raines......just to agitate all the spreadsheet jockeys.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    Observations from day three of the analysis

Lou Whitaker, who is no longer on the ballot, comes in at #10.
    He thinks Mattingly should be in the HOF.
    He thinks Parker is a great example of a borderline cadidate, and will eventually be inducted.
    He loves Murphy (#18) but would not vote for him.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    If I remember correctly, Bill James put a large section of his 1986 Baseball Abstract on the Hall of Fame and how folks are elected. At that time he predicted who he thought had good and bad chances. On Dale Murphy he said "Dale Murphy WILL make the Hall of Fame". It just goes to show you that even the most knowledgeable can be wrong every now and then. Of course, if the Veteran's Committee elects Murph, then I guess Bill was right after all.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    I remember the quote. Murphy just fell off a cliff at age 32.
  • Murphy got old, didnt do steroids, still is a classy guy and was a great ambassador for the game. Multiple all star, 2 time MVP, won a couple of HR and RBI crowns I think. Much rather put someone like Murphy in the hall than cheaters, liars and thugs.
    1. Bagwell
    2. Palmeiro
    3. Raines
    4. Blyleven
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Bagwell
    2. Palmeiro
    3. Raines
    4. Blyleven >>

ludicrous
  • Raines should be a HOFer. Rickey Henderson was soooo good that Raines doesn't get his just due. They pretty much played the same time, Raines a few years fewer, and didn't put up the awesone numbers that Rickey did, but Raines is very comparable with other HOFers - and deserves induction.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1. Bagwell
    2. Palmeiro
    3. Raines
    4. Blyleven >>

ludicrous >>

Why? Is that your "analysis?" All are obvious HOFers if you ignore the steroids question on Palmeiro.
  • Bagwell and Palmeiro are both juicers, they are not getting in for good long time, or never.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get caught cheating, you just won't get due respect for your accomplishments on the field, whether it's a player or a team...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>1. Bagwell
    2. Palmeiro
    3. Raines
    4. Blyleven >>

ludicrous >>

Why? Is that your "analysis?" All are obvious HOFers if you ignore the steroids question on Palmeiro. >>

Is the title of the thread not "Worst Player on 2011 HOF Ballot"? My analysis is that these are far from the worst players...

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>1. Bagwell
    2. Palmeiro
    3. Raines
    4. Blyleven >>

ludicrous >>

Why? Is that your "analysis?" All are obvious HOFers if you ignore the steroids question on Palmeiro. >>

Is the title of the thread not "Worst Player on 2011 HOF Ballot"? My analysis is that these are far from the worst players...[/q

Sorry-I misunderstood you. He says those are the 4 best players on the ballot.