Home Metal Detecting

Detecting in England!

Hello,

I recently returned from the U.K (my wife had business there and I went along as a tourist). I contacted the head of one of the local detecting clubs and he agreed to meet me to go detecting.
We emailed back and forth for over a month or more before the trip.

We went to a farmer's field (500 years old) and found some medieval artifacts (buckles and a clothing fastener) and some 19th Century buttons.

By far the oldest stuff that I have ever found! This gentleman and his daughter were some of the kindest people I have ever met, they even bought me lunch!
We went back to his house where he showed me his impressive collection of Roman and Medieval coins, Ax heads, buttons and buckles.

I have read about wanting to send LM to England to detect. If he could send me a message, I'll pass along information on how he could get a hold of my friend.
Having mentioned it to him, I'm sure he would be happy to get together with him.

This was an outing of a lifetime for me, I have attached a picture of the finds (I had to mount them in order to display them!) If anyone has any info on the button in the middle (or on the right) , I would appreciate it!

Clad

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, and welcome! Thanks for the information. You must be the fella Eric ("spoon") was talkin' about?

You should go to your profile and activate Private Messages so you can receive those.

As to your button, I'm afraid it's kind of hard to see in that picture. I'll bet you had a real blast!

I would certainly appreciate the contact information you might have on this person, but I've long thought that perhaps one of the package tours might be the best option for me, simply because they tend to have all the permissions and legal niceties like export licenses and so on all worked out. But then again, if this person you dealt with was in charge of a detecting club, perhaps he'd know how to do all that?

What sort of paperwork did you need to export your finds?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LM,

I changed the profile settings, sorry about that!

Bob
  • LM,

PM sent ...

Bob
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, fun trip!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com