Home U.S. Coin Forum

A question for Seated coin collectors

Which denomination, date, mint, and grade of any Liberty Seated coin have you had trouble finding?

This is posted on the LSCC seated boards at http://seateddimes.yuku.com/topic/3443 but as many of you are not members or don't visit often I am hoping to generate some more answers here too.
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 1844-O WB-102 Half in MS-64 or better? image

And I'm still waiting for a look at your hoard of 1851-O halfs. image

Edited to add: I know where the hoard of 1878-CC dimes is at, but they are held with white knuckles and others are not appearing on tree branches.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    A quality example of the big 3 quarters. 1870-cc, 1871-cc and an 1873-cc.

All are available in less then desirable condition. The really good ones are in really strong hands.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pick a simpler one. Something I have kept an eye on for 30 yrs:

1. Any gem MS65 "early" seated quarter from 1840-1851........there are no common dates in this condition.

2. Any gem MS65 New Orleans seated quarter.

This doesn't mean coins necessarily sitting in TPG holders, but those with full mint luster, choice surfaces, and zero high point rub. A very select group indeed.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll pick a simpler one. Something I have kept an eye on for 30 yrs:

1. Any gem MS65 "early" seated quarter from 1840-1851........there are no common dates in this condition.

2. Any gem MS65 New Orleans seated quarter.

This doesn't mean coins necessarily sitting in TPG holders, but those with full mint luster, choice surfaces, and zero high point rub. A very select group indeed.

roadrunner >>

That is a rare group indeed.

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Are GEM New Orleans Half Dollars as rare? I have several MS-64 Seated Half Dollars, including an 1861-O. That is the best condition I can afford.
    Tom

The gem New Orleans seated halves don't hold a candle to the seated quarters due to available dates like 54-0, 55-0, 56-0, 59-0, 60-0, 61-0. The 58-0 is elusive in gem grades but still obtainable. The 57-0 is downright rare in gem just like the quarter. I've never seen a true gem 57-0 half. For now you have to settle for MS64's of that date. There is an NGC MS65 of that date but it falls quite a bit short of gem.

Still, with the looseness in grading over the past 10+ yrs, a lot of MS65 New Orleans halves don't deserve the grade. CAC hasn't certified all that many. Full blown MS65 gems are still scarce.

I've always estimated at most 2 dozen truly gem New Orleans seated quarters exist out of approx 20 possible different dates. The halves are many multiples of that number.
    The 1840-1851 seated halves give the seated quarters of that era a run for their money, but the halves are more plentiful.

roadrunner

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1844 dime with a love token-engraved reverse. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I have a long list but will not mention some of the rare CC dates
    1838-O half-dime
    1849-O and 1855-O quarter
    1852 1/2$
    1862 $
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1861 and 1862 Dollars, holed of course.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, problem-free G or VG 1876-P twenty cent pieces.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    1857 original decent strike

imageimage

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

<< <i>I have a long list but will not mention some of the rare CC dates
    1838-O half-dime
    1849-O and 1855-O quarter
    1852 1/2$
    1862 $ >>

The 49 O quarter is a really hard coin, the 52 1/2 shows up from time to time but not often. I too can not find an decent 1862 Dollar. These are all not easy coins.

The 1855-0 quarter is one of the more overrated dates in the series on total pieces existing. It's easier to find than a 58-0 or 59-0 for example which are considered by many to be just semi-scarce. In problem free F-VF or better condition the 55-0 starts to get tough. It's a quirky date that has been misunderstood for decades.

In the lineage of New Orleans seated quarters the 55-0 is more common than: 40-0 lg O wd, 42-0 sd, 43-0, 47-0, 49-0, 51-0, 52-0, 54-0 huge O, 58-0, 59-0. It may be more common than other dates as well but the last tier of O mint quarters are fairly similar.

roadrunner

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1855-0 quarter is one of the more overrated dates in the series on total pieces existing. It's easier to find than a 58-0 or 59-0 for example which are considered by many to be just semi-scarce. In problem free F-VF or better condition the 55-0 starts to get tough. It's a quirky date that has been misunderstood for decades.

In the lineage of New Orleans seated quarters the 55-0 is more common than: 40-0 lg O wd, 42-0 sd, 43-0, 47-0, 49-0, 51-0, 52-0, 54-0 huge O, 58-0, 59-0. It may be more common than other dates as well but the last tier of O mint quarters are fairly similar.

roadrunner >>

Overrated? the 55-O?
    Only 20 coins have ever been graded by PCGS in all grades.
    The few coins I have seen were not gradable.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gem, original, decently struck 1866 Philly quarter. I've seen several that were 2 of the 3, but haven't found mine yet.

K
    Overrated? the 55-O?
    Only 20 coins have ever been graded by PCGS in all grades.
    The few coins I have seen were not gradable.

A nice orig VF 55-0 went through a local dealer around here last year. Asking price was around $300-$350.

There are a lot of seated quarters with PCGS pops of from 15-33. That doesn't mean that's all that's out there or that they can be accurately compared. There are about the same number of 55-0's & 58-s's graded vs 72-s's. Does that imply the 55-0 and 58-s is as rare or rarer? There are almost double the amount of 70-cc's. Does that mean the 70-cc is twice as common as the 55-0? My pop report is 3 yrs old so excuse me if these numbers have changed slightly. There is no reason for a set collector to send in their VG-Fine 55-0 unless they plan to sell in the near future. I would imagine most are in Dansco type albums. The PCGS pops make some sense for high grade seated quarters, esp. the uncs. But the numbers are too small at the low end because there is no need yet to send those in for grading. There are hundreds of AG-Fine 55-0's out there. And they will probably always be raw. But there are probably only 100-150 1872-s quarters out there in all grades and many have been sent in because they are worth a ton now, even the G-VG's. One can compare the pops of the dates in the seated quarters but they are generally meaningless. Heck,even the 56-S/s is a pop 1 in my pop report which is half the 73-cc NA pop. Date collectors are looking for the best coins for their sets. And if a date is underrated they will buy duplicates if priced right. But the majority of the non-key dates won't be submitted, esp. if in AG-VF grades.

Per my pop report there are only 3 1855-0's in existence graded VG-VF....yet there are 15 1891-0's, 18 1872-S's and 1 - 1875-S. What can be concluded from that?....probably not much. In the Barber quarters there are 3 1894-S's in VG-VF yet 88 1896-S's in the same grades. About the only thing I can get from that is that the 72-s is a whole lot rarer than the 1896-s.

roadrunner
  • Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Back when I was collecting Seated coins, I found many of the S mint quarters to be frustratingly difficult. There was a period when the west coast was having difficulty with having enough coinage for circulation and so many S mint coins suffered heavy circulation.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • I would love a mid grade 1866.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've probably sold 4 or 5 circulated business strike 1866 quarters in the last year or so. But when I get them, they sell quickly!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Another fun coin to find is an 1866 - S quarter. They are around from time to time but not cheap.

I did need a 1851 mid grade quarter and paid 5x book for it. I don't think I over paid either.

I like the 66-s too. It's in the top 6 of the rarest "S" mints. At one time I had an XF of this date that I had paid $175 for....a long time ago. Though that wasn't quite as good a deal as the $135 I paid for a perfect original XF45 1867-s via a Coin World ad in the mid-1970's. That's a $5,000 coin today, esp. if it made AU50.

For a brief period in 1988 I owned the Blauvelt 1866-s (ex B&R 1977) in PCGS MS66. At the same time I owned the James Stack MS66 1867-s, a MS64 1868-s, and a MS65 1869-s. I was trying to put together a set of choice/gem uncs from 1866-1872, preferably finest knowns...my favorite run of S mints. But basically ran out of money and coins. When the Norweb 1872-s in MS65 sold for more than I could afford in 1988 that pretty much put an end to the quest as the odds of another gem coming up for sale were slim. The dealer representing the buyer of that coin basically told me that he had a "buy it" bid on that coin. Of the 2 gem pieces graded (Norweb, Richmond), I like the original Norweb piece far better.

roadrunner
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1872-S quarter is another awfully difficult one to locate. It is the #1 toughest S-mint Seated quarter, and is scarcer than the 1872-CC in most grades, yet it often lists for less. I just replaced my hole-filler example with a borderline VF after 2 years of searching, and it wasn't cheap.

In my estimation the 72-s is probably on par with the 70-cc and 71-cc. I wouldn't be the least surprised if it were actually rarer. But the demand for CC's from Carson City collectors is so strong that the 72-s will never close that huge price gap. And it's hard to convince buyers that the 72-s with a fairly significant mintage of 83,000 is equivalent to the CC's with 8K to 11K mintages. That's why for years you could buy a 72-s for a "song" but had to belly up for any 70/71-cc. The 72-s is one of the bluest of blue chips in seated quarters.

Imo the 72-cc pales in comparison to 70-cc, 71-cc, 72-s. Different leagues.

roadrunner
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to collect seated by type, not date, so I have not really experienced any particular trouble finding coins. In fact, sometimes they find me when I am not looking.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I did need a 1851 mid grade quarter and paid 5x book for it. I don't think I over paid either. >>

I would agree that the 1851 is a great date and one of my favorites in the Seated quarters series. This one, at $450, would have to go down as my steal for 2010.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I've had trouble with most of the seated quarter dates (except the "gimmie" dates.) If you want to go bald, just try to put together a seated quarter collection! (Cause you'll pull out your hair before you're finished.)

The coins I have had the most trouble with are the 1872-S, any of the 1866 or 67's and 1848-1852 (any mintmark.) I can usually find them, but when I do they are way out of my budget or more than I think I should pay.

On a positive note I just acquired an 1875-CC from a forum member, Thanks! Can't wait to see it!

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I did need a 1851 mid grade quarter and paid 5x book for it. I don't think I over paid either. >>

I would agree that the 1851 is a great date and one of my favorites in the Seated quarters series. This one, at $450, would have to go down as my steal for 2010.

And you would not even consider a $1k on an offer for it either! You got a heck of a deal IMHO.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

And you would not even consider a $1k on an offer for it either! You got a heck of a deal IMHO. >>

Freddie, I see you are trying to bribe me with money for my 1851image

You know where to find meimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
    That 1851 quarter was a great buy!

I love the 1850-52 silver coins, they are special coins.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    So there were no proofs struck in '51 and '52 thus making these dates of the .25 denomination undiluted in mint state?
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file