Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question on 1993 Mexican Onza coins?

I picked up (6) 1993 Mexican 1 oz Silver Onza Coins today.

They are unlike any I have seen before. My scanner is on the fritz so I can post photos but (3) of the (6) coins are labeled as follows;

1993 Totonac Carita Sonriente - A face of a guy in a party hat type style
1993 Totonac Bajorrelieve del Tajin - A mozaic like wall like would be seen in an ancient temple
1993 Totanac Palma con Cocodrilo - I guess this is a crocodile on this coin

1993 Brasero Efigie - A totem Pole like design
1993 Huehueteotl - A seated figure with fists clenched on his feet with a big stone on his head
1993 XOCHIPILLI - a seated god on a big square stone with legs crossed

I will post scans if I get the scanner working.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mexico issued an extensive series of native cultural coins in 1-5 oz sizes and some 1/2 oz also as I recall. You could check some sites for more details like: www.donbailey-mexico.com (as I recall).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Mexico minted the Pre-Columbian series from 1992-1998. The coins were timed to celebrate 500 years since Columbus discovered the new world ... 1492-1992. The six Pre-Columbian cultures (Aztec, central veracruz, mayan, Olmeca, teotihuacan, totleca) are each represented by four iconic religious, architectural, cultural silver one oz coins in Proof and BU. Your first three coins are Central Veracruz and the second three are Aztec.

The pre-Colombian series in silver also has one 5oz, one 1/2oz and one 1/4oz coin for each series.

Mintages are extremely low for most of the series and there are a few varieties to be aware of as well.

Graded Pre-Colombians and Libertads are my thing. Let me know if you’d like to discover more about these coins.

• Options

Hilarious ... just noticed I replied to a post from 2011

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

COOL B)B)B)B)B)

I have been waiting 8 years for an answer, :o:o:o:o:o

Thanks,

GrandAm :)