Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Collecting duplicate sets

I was just wondering if anyone ever collects duplicates of the same sets? I love my 1983 coins and I have tons, although not so many PCGS graded yet.

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few folks do as there are no rules about collecting.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I guess I'm a little crazy, if you check out the 1983 proofs I'm working on like 7 sets. I only have one complete right now, but I should have 3 or 4 done by the end of the week.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have, for 2 reasons:
    1) Coins that I have upgraded but I don't necessarily sell off the ones I upgraded from
    2) For things like our birthyear sets, I may have one that I like for the grade and yet another for the pure look (certain toning or whatnot)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I thought I would create a "grading" set of the 09 VDB LWC, you know just get one of each grade... then I started noticing "things". Recently I decided to start selling off all the lincoln slabs and just buy what ever looked interesting and someday make sense by dividing them up into various sets all of the same year. Like all woodies at various grades, or a set of grading labels where the lower grade was a nicer coin than the next higher grade. just to be different! 1/2 j/k!
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime I upgrade my Lib $2.50 set I sell off the extras. I do that to free up money for more coins. The only duplicate coin I have is a dirty original piece too nice to sell.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    We have between 2 and 4 of every date for the liberty nickel set in MS-64. Whenever we come across one that we like it gets added to the hoard..err...collection. image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    I'm having a bug-bear of a time as it is just getting one of everything I want. The idea of getting more is hair-ripping.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I have multiple graded 1965-1998 Washington Quarters minimum grade MS66. Have around 50 blue boxes full. Just waiting for the market to turn on the series. I may be waiting for a long long time.....
  • Options
    I think I hit the limit to the number of duplicate sets. I have (19) 1983 Proof Sets, with three additional 1983 proof coins eligible to create new sets. When I click on add a new set, the 1983 proof set is not listed even though I have eligible coins. I sent an e-mail to the setregistry two days ago, but have yet to hear back from them. Not sure how I will keep track of my slowly growing hoard of sets.
  • Options
    If I like the coin, I will keep it. I probably own half the graded POP of some coins, I just can't get rid of them. I must have 300 FS Jefferson War Nickels, I keep all the different 66FS RPM's or better they take up a good portion of my safe.
  • Options
    I found out with the helpful staff at PCGS that there is not limit on how many sets you can have, however there is some slow down between when a coin is added and you start your 21st set. If you give it a little time, it catches up and you can add another set.