Home U.S. Coin Forum

More questions about grading

I bought this coin on eBay thinking it would be nice for my girlfriend as it is her birth year, it was graded MS 65 by PCGS and I thought it would be a nice coin. When I got the coin I could see corrosion on it.
The seller had a return policy, so I took advantage of that, and sent the coin back, still waiting to see if my payment is returned to Paypal.

Can anyone explain how it can be put into the holder by PCGS and have this happen to it, as I cannot think PCGS would grade this coin MS 65. Does PCGS vacuum pack the coins into the holder or at least dry the air before packing?

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are toning spots. Corrosion is something different, though there are some on the boards who hate toning enough to call all toning corrosion. There is nothing that I can see on that coin that should keep it out of a holder.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that the coin was dipped (and not properly neutralized) before it was submitted for grading. And that the discoloration areas appeared some time afterwards.
  • I don't know much about coins, but I could see it was pitted, looked like weld splatter and not toning, as I think toning is just surface color, am I correct, would any one want to keep it as a MS 65 ?
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is that the coin was dipped (and not properly neutralized) before it was submitted for grading. And that the discoloration areas appeared some time afterwards. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't really see too many collectors wanting to keep that as a 65.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    RickO could dip it for you... where is RickO?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is that the coin was dipped (and not properly neutralized) before it was submitted for grading. And that the discoloration areas appeared some time afterwards. >>

I agree. And PCGS would make things right if it were sent in for a spot review.

Bummer that PCGS should suffer from some doctor's poor work. But that's why grading fees are hefty.
    Lance.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know much about coins, but I could see it was pitted, looked like weld splatter and not toning, as I think toning is just surface color, am I correct, would any one want to keep it as a MS 65 ? >>

The coin has not been welded and it is simply toning. It is unattractive as an MS65 and I would not keep the coin, either. Keep reading and learning.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file