Home U.S. Coin Forum

Calling all proficient coin PHOTOGRAPHERS.......please post your best work product here; MEGA THREAD

2»

Comments

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>JH,

The only major difference is that Mark used TWO light sources (at 10 and 2 o'clock) where you used a single light source. Multiple light sources gives you more control. Try it sometime. image >>

Actually, I do use two sources - at 9 and 3 o'clock. I suspect that the difference lies in the type of lighting.

JH
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The best way I can think off to illustrate my limited photography skills is to compare one of my better shots to one by The Master himself

Mark Goodman version:

My version:

JH >>

JH,

The only major difference is that Mark used TWO light sources (at 10 and 2 o'clock) where you used a single light source. Multiple light sources gives you more control. Try it sometime. image >>

Looks like he is using 2 lights?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These ones turned out OK:
  • I wish people could learn how to down size their image files.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had the spare time, I'd get artsy with the mirrored image, obverse and reverse.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

• << <i>Something different.

image >>

Wow....that is utterly incredible.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>JH,

Actually, I do use two sources - at 9 and 3 o'clock. I suspect that the difference lies in the type of lighting.

JH >>

My mistake. At 9 and 3 o'clock it would be a straight line. Maybe it's the angle of the lighting? Or it could be the type as you stated.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • mtnmanmtnman Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding thread.
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful pics Lance image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! what a collection of pics.
    I was going to put a couple up, but I'm not worthy image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • About a year ago I found myself with lots of free time and decided to do something with all pennies hoarded by 3 generations. So embarked on learning about them, that led to my purchasing certified examples and that led to questions, which brought me to message boards where I found the need to post pictures of the coins I was questioning.

Well! It didn't end there, that led to my finding out that point & shoot at 10mb wasn't good enough, so that led to a DSLR, macro, lites, software etc., all dedicated to coins. Then comes the debate about images vs. coin in hand over luster, led to find ways to capture a coins best attributes and/or balancing them. That led to the creation of the "Study" set in my signature.

So now I find myself enjoying and spending most of my time with the study of my and others photographed images. Currently I am designing a rocking oscillating turntable. Tomorrow, I go to my first show with some confidence that I know what I am looking at. I have convinced myself, if it were not for photography of the coins, I would not know one tenth what I know now. I certainly would have never seen a coin at 30 times its size!

I collect Lincolns, so copper is my thing. Not sure if this is my best "work" cause it certainly doesn't feel like work! I think this is a good mix of images that showcase some variety. I put a couple of silver shots at the end of this string of photos. Resized to 1000x1000 I hope everyone has their monitor resolution set to 1280. enjoy!

First up is the typical presentation composition, so yes the prerequisite PS skills are in place:
    Critiques and constructive criticism most appreciated!

I've learned how to show off superior luster on a brassy 66RD

I've learned how to get the fire orange and luster on a 65RD

I've learned how to capture the warmth and still capture some of the luster of a 65BN (former illini420 coin)

I've learned how photoshop out those annoying NGC prongs image on a 65BN

I've learned about axial lighting and different techniques for capturing color. Regular lighting versus axial - Thanks Mr Goodman!

I have shot some some obligatory silver - I know, hot spots... 94 - NGC says repaired, I say with what, a brillo pad?

Call me Buffalo Bill, cause I shot this Buffalo however I prefer John Wilkes Photobooth.

What is the optimum width for photos on this forum anyhow?

• TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Just amazing I see the art in the photos you have to have vision to be able to take images like most of the ones posted.
    The best thread so far this year!!
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Something different.

image >>

Well, I've spent too much time on that number 1 to not comment. A bit of die clashing comes to mind.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file