Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finally bought a decent camera. First picture!

mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
Got a D90 and Sigma 150mm macro lens. I have no idea how to properly use this gear yet, but could not resist taking a few shots. Here is the first image

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Not bad... need more light sources... how many lights did you use?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not bad... need more light sources... how many lights did you use? >>

Just one tonight -- it's all I have heh. I am going to go pick up a few lamps tomorrow and try to trip the circuit breakers.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two lights should be enough for almost everything you shoot. Make sure they match each other and make sure you set your white balance correctly.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is your first shot???

Wow . . . not bad at all.

Drunner
  • Not bad....fix the white balance and you will be well ahead of the average images posted here without even tweaking image
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new set-up. Your first try is great.

Before long you'll be tripping over lights and cords and bulbs and stands and.... then you'll figure out you don't need most of it.
  • atta boy, Homer!

We'll have to have shootouts. I finally sprang for a D90, yesterday, from B&H.
  • Great picture. Good luck with your up-grading.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

<< <i>Great picture. Good luck with your up-grading.

Ron >>

This one is for you, Melvin.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done! Doesnt it feel good when it works?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got a D90 and Sigma 150mm macro lens. I have no idea how to properly use this gear yet, but could not resist taking a few shots. Here is the first image >>

Super! Very nice for a first stab.

Unless the nickel is really golden brown you need to fix the white balance.

You can bring our some of the detail in the dark areas if you shoot raw and adjust the shadow control.

Stay with it! It's very satisfying.
    Lance.
  • Wow. I'm impressed. Good work!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW... I can't wait until you learn how to use that thing!! Nice Pic....
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    A great start.

Some constructive criticism:

1) Get plane of coin parallel to plane of camera. Looks like the left side of the coin is out of focus because of this.
    2) Correct white balance. Looks like the coin is a bit yellow (i.e warn) than it should be.
    3) Add more light and/or move your single light "higher". This will even out the lighting and lighten up the dark areas in the photo.

Again, a very good start & I hope you enjoy your new equipment...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verrry Nice. I took this image into my files and corrected the color balance

BUT, I love the way you have used the light here. It has nice shadows/highlights/contrast balances. Very "Portrait" like...and thats the way I think coins should be photographed. Here, below, a little alteration on the computer...you get this.,

@MikeInFL

You are right, the setup is way out of plumb. I plan to spend some time tonight with a straightedge and level to try to get this right. Most of the adjustments should be in the copy stand and hopefully that helps me get the whole coin in better focus. White balance is a problem, just need to figure out how to get that right! Thanks the the critique and tips.

@ambro51

You got the color pretty darn close image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your next hobby can now begin
    LCoopie = Les
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice combo (D90 and 150 macro). Use two light sources, one at 10 o'clock and one at 2 o'clock, set your light balance to "Tungsten" and you will be set! image
    Dwayne Sessom
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty good for a first photo. I look forward to more pics.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• << <i>That is your first shot???

Wow . . . not bad at all.

Drunner >>

imageimage
    thanks image

These are a few more from last night. Same lighting issues as the first (needs more lights), but this coin is extremely dark. I was able to apply color correction today since the background was 18% grey. I have my doubts about this toning, but since I payed 20c for the nickel I can't complain too much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file