Home U.S. Coin Forum

New to board, need advise 3 dollar gold

I am new to coin collecting, and need a lot of help. I have a coin I found 40 years ago that I have had in a safe since then. I would like to have it graded by PCGS, but have no idea what grade to give it when sending it in. Maybe some of you experts could give me an opinion on the grade to list, and if you think it is worth grading. here are a few pictures if I can get them loaded, this is my first try at loading pictures.

Comments

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! An expert will be along shortly to help!
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

It's kind of hard to tell from the pics. IMO, the pics lead me to think that it may have been cleaned.
    If you submit the coin without a minimum grade checked, it will get the graded determined by
    PCGS, assuming it does not get body bagged. Do you have any other pics that are larger in size?
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Even if cleaned and thus not gradeable, it would be worth getting inro a "Genuine" holder to at least assure that it is fact genuine.

This is a series in which there are many counterfeits.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

The obverse and reverse images are so different that they make it look as if you shot two different coins. Are you in an area where you can show it to someone knowledgeable for an opinion, before submitting it to PCGS?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if cleaned and thus not gradeable, it would be worth getting inro a "Genuine" holder to at least assure that it is fact genuine.

This is a series in which there are many counterfeits. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    What else do you collect? You're very versed in chat pages... hidden users profile, PM turned off, posted images as attachments to this forum, etc. You must have a lot of experience in other collectibles?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Why are the two images so different?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Alaska, 'eh?

Nice pan of color.

Don't ask for a grade. PCGS will let you know the grade. You might try to open a
    Photobucket account and upload your pics there and then copy the img code and just
    paste it here. They will be big enough for us to maybe help!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason to think the coin is fake, although the surfaces appear to be severely impaired by either cleaning, environmental damage, a repair, or some combination of those things.

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen a fake 56-S, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the coin is worth the cost of submission to a TPG.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

<< <i>I would like to have it graded by PCGS, but have no idea what grade to give it when sending it in. Maybe some of you experts could give me an opinion on the grade to list, and if you think it is worth grading. >>

I am not an expert on these but I would have it graded, even if it only comes back Genuine. You do not need to list a grade when you submit, you just need to establis a value. Price guide is $4900 in AU55, $12,000 in MS60 and $27,500 in MS63.

Just pick a value for insurance purposes, PCGS will give you the grade.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see no reason to think the coin is fake, although the surfaces appear to be severely impaired by either cleaning, environmental damage, a repair, or some combination of those things.

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen a fake 56-S, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the coin is worth the cost of submission to a TPG. >>

Andy, based on that, would you suggest that the coin be insured for AU money, or something else?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, based on that, would you suggest that the coin be insured for AU money, or something else?

It depends on if Insane wants to play it completely safe and doesn't mind the additional cost associated with the high valuation.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Since I am new to this site and coin collecting I do not know all the terms like body bagged? Let me give some history on the coin, I found it in 1972 in Hawaii on a beach that had the sand removed in the winter by natural wave action, wedged in a crack in the bed rock. I later found out that this had been a whaling port and the men were paid in gold, and that might be how it got to that spot. It looks like the day I got it out of the salt water. My guess is this coin was in the water over 100 years, and since it is gold it never tarnished. Can you explain body bagged, and I do not think it is a fake because of the way the salt water treated it. sorry for the bad pictures of the coin as it was taken at different times under different light. Maybe these pictures can help.

I would think that you can't go Regular service ($3000 max) on this one. You would probably go with Express service ($20,000 max). Anything higher requires Secure Plus and I would not recommend this if you think it might code 92 (Cleaned).

The next question is the return shipping. The break is at $15,000 whether you pay $29.95 or $49.95 for return shipping.
    Body bagged means that the coin has a problem and will not be given a numerical grade. If genuine they normally put it into a Genuine holder with a code. See the list of codes near the bottom of This Page. Problem coins submitted under Secure Plus will come in the traditional "body bag" which is a flip and not a holder.
    If it was discovered on the beach in Lahaina (love that town!), you might want to send it ATS to have them designate it Shipwreck Effect.
  • I guess the coin could be called cleaned, as it was cleaned by salt water for over 100 years. Is this what they call cleaned even if not by human hands. I would think it is cleaned by nature. I can't loose as I found it in the first place, so it did not cost me anything. I also collect natural gold from the rivers as you can see some of it on my (logo) I have found other coins doing this and enjoy having them.
    I guess I will have to learn the coin collecting lingo.

Thanks
    Dennis
  • Coin was found in Kona Hawaii at magic sands beach 1972, no ship wreck, sailor must have lost it in the sand at the beach.
    Dennis, Your writing style in uncannily similar to my friend Jarett. Welcome to the forum! image

The salt water effect is what they actually grade... shipwreck effect just has a romantic sound to it.

P.S. The word salt-water (when placed together) has a forbidden word (last letter of salt and first three letters of water)... I think the forbidden word filter might be a little touchy!
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    image and welcome to the boards.

Mike

<< <i>Coin was found in Kona Hawaii at magic sands beach 1972, no ship wreck, sailor must have lost it in the sand at the beach. >>

I lived in Hawaii for four years... loved it! I may have upset Pele when I removed some of the sand from the lava flow on the Big Island. One time when I was snorkeling at Magic Sands, a wave pummeled me into the sands - really hard! Regretfully, it didn't knock any sense into me! I wish I would have found a Princess then... gold or otherwise.

As a sidenote: I believe Maui was the only whaling island as part of the Hawaiian islands chain. Of all the islands, I enjoyed Midway Island the most!
  • I lived in Kona for 3 years, and I understood the whalers did frequent Kailua bay, as we also found a lot of old bottles in the harbor from the old ships. I was in the salt water tropical fish business at the time and dove most everyday collecting fish.

<< <i>I lived in Kona for 3 years, and I understood the whalers did frequent Kailua bay, as we also found a lot of old bottles in the harbor from the old ships. I was in the salt water tropical fish business at the time and dove most everyday collecting fish. >>

I was a Navy Diver and dove all the islands. I loved the reefs and enjoyed the very large reef at Midway Island (including the reef hotel)... I even found a Japanese Zero at 90 feet between the two islands. Good times... but no gold! image We frequently found a lot of old Japanese fish floats... they didn't originate on the islands, but floated until they hit land. T.H. had numerous bottlers, finding beached/buried bottles didn't require whaling.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the story of the find adds more to the coin than any "genuine" PCGS holder could. Leave it alone, keep it as it is and write its history out and keep it with the coin.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file