Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a Plate Coin from Tomaska's new book if you have one.

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
I finally got my copy of Tomaska's new book from Amazon. I find the book an entertaining and educational read, and appreciate the images. I enjoy the images of the blast white coins and the proofs. I can understand why the toned coins look the way they do in the images, and enjoy the images for what they are. As far as Franklin images go, there are 36 images used as date/mm examples ('49-S has 2 examples, 1 is a PL, hence 36 date/mm instead of 35). Of these 36 examples roughly 20 examples are toned and 16 are brilliant (I count roughly 20/16 toned/brilliant because some are only very minimally toned, so in some counts they are toned and in some counts they are brilliant). There are a further 33 examples of toned business strike Franklins in Appendix A. Due to the Type 1/2 difference in 1956 there are 15 Franklin proofs. IMO some of these are particularly jaw dropping. While I am not a Kennedy collector per se, I do like how Kennedys look, and there are a bunch of attractive ones in the book.

I would like to thank Rick for thinking some of my coins were worthy of including as examples in his book. Until I got the book I had no idea which, if any, of the 8 Franklins Rick requested that I send to him, got included in the book. It turns out 5 were thought worthy, all of which were posted in Appendix A. The 5 were; 1948-D, 1954-S, 1958 (the MS67 one), 1958-D (the MS67FBL one), and 1960. If you have a coin from the book (or more than one), be it Franklin or Kennedy, business strike or proof, toned or blast white, please post it/them. I'll be posting mine 1 by 1 to this thread over a period of time (basically when I think there is a long lag after the last post). Congratulations to all the contributors on your coins!!!

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great topic for a thread Skyman. Your 1948 D Franklin is a jaw dropper.

I need to order the book and read through it to see if there is any new information on Franklins and Kennedies.

• LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Great looking Frankie. I look forward to receiving my copy next week (hopefully).
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet I know which 1960 he used!!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet I know which 1960 he used!!!! >>

Yup. Thank you very much for selling it to me!!!
  • That is a sweet 48-D.

some toners just have it.
  • imageimage

........Ooop's ; not a plate coin ......but seeing my 48-D in the arms of another is causing brain malfunctions

<< <i>........Ooop's ; not a plate coin ......but seeing my 48-D in the arms of another is causing brain malfunctions >>

Pretty coin! image

As to brain malfunctions, you mean it actually functions properly some of the time? image

Here's my next one.

Come on guys, there's got to be some other plate coins out there...

• HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage

........Ooop's ; not a plate coin ......but seeing my 48-D in the arms of another is causing brain malfunctions >>

Nice one, is it yours?
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ......if it's anything like the images it will be , a collector out of Chicago has offered it to me .
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    speaking of the book, i ordered and paid for a hard cover from R&I and it's still MIA. has anyone gotten there's yet??
    Anyone else???

Here's the third one...

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else???

Here's the third one...

image >>

Some buddies of mine on this forum have some nice Kennedys that were used ... I totally missed the boat on this one. I didn't know there was an opportunity until the book was printed. But then I have never bought coins from Rick. Nothing personal, we just haven't connected.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

<< <i>Some buddies of mine on this forum have some nice Kennedys that were used ... I totally missed the boat on this one. I didn't know there was an opportunity until the book was printed... >>

Some Kennedys would be lovely! Anyone plate coin contributors out there with some images?

<< <i>speaking of the book, i ordered and paid for a hard cover from R&I and it's still MIA. has anyone gotten there's yet?? >>

I got mine yesterday. Somewhat disapointed as it has corner bumps and scratches on the cover. It looks like it was the counter copy, here's hoping you have better luck.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations SkyMan for the recognition those gorgeous Frankies of yours deserve...Just stunning! I want that book...

ABimage

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    You don't get a courtesy book when you contribute?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>You don't get a courtesy book when you contribute? >>

Actually (after I had bought a softback copy from Amazon) I was quite pleasantly surprised to find in my mail a package from Rick including one hardback and one softback copy of the book. I certainly was not expecting them. Thank you very much Rick!

I let this thread die because NO ONE else posted a plate coin (Peace, PP). I'm bumping this thread because of Goldbully's new thread on Franklins link

So here's another plate coin. If you have one or more PLEASE post to this thread!

• Sweet Baby! Sweet!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ...to be frank .......I have yet to see the new book , so don't know what's in there !
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    '66 SMS Kennedy - Pg.243
    Excellent Book!
    That is a Beauty RC! image

<< <i>image
    '66 SMS Kennedy - Pg.243
    Excellent Book! >>

Man is that clean!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list