Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know what's really cool about this Oregon interest bearing note?

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
And why it belongs on the coin forum?? image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The check you wrote to buy your first house?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    The note was paid with Oregon Territorial Gold from the Baker and Kitton assayers?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    it's not canceled
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The check you wrote to buy your first house?

No, I'm not quite THAT old....... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    William K. Kilborne was one of the eight partners of the Oregon Exchange Company that was founded in Oregon City ,Oregon Territory in 1849.This is the company that made the $5 and $10 Oregon gold Beaver coins.Sweet!image

• << <i>William K. Kilborne was one of the eight partners of the Oregon Exchange Company that was founded in Oregon City ,Oregon Territory in 1849.This is the company that made the $5 and $10 Oregon gold Beaver coins.Sweet!image >>

Yeah, yeah....that's the ticket!
    ding.....ding......ding..... we have a winner. image

From Ford XX:

Oregon Territory, Oregon City. '$5.00' Circulating Order Bond for 6% Interest. Dec. 13, 1848. Extremely Fine. Uniface. Printed on light blue, fine laid lined, bond paper. Eastern banknote size. 195mm by 82mm. Typeset, part printed form. The style is similar, but not identical to last. Within beaded borders, typeset texts. In center, white outlined "OREGON TERRITORY," with obligation and payee space across center: "Promises to pay to order of______/_____Dollars and____Cents,/ with interest at the rate of six per cent, from date." At the upper left, denomination written in next to "$____." Upper right city and space to be written in "Oregon City, ____184_." Space for serial number with typeset "No." lower left, signature space for "Treasurer" at lower right. Issued to 'J. Baker' and signed by Kilborn as Treasurer. Written No.914. Not in Durand. As published in the Ford XX catalogue, this is a second sub-variety from this rare, possibly circulating bond series. The piece is a beauty in very strong condition. Very well centered with broad margins on the side. Quite important and perhaps the most superior of the three featured in that sale. The Oregon circulating bonds that Ford purchased in 1964 were an illuminating experience the night of the Ford XX Sale. They were very lightly estimated, as we had never seen them before. However, as partly printed forms they may have appeared mis-catalogued over time in other places and not seen by us for that reason. On the contrary, it truly appears that these are extreme rarities and Ford recognized their great importance. We do not recall them ever being offered in a NASCA or successor Smythe sale. Although they fetched mighty prices that October night, in our opinion as Oregon pieces they have tremendous upside. Years from now, we believe these will be even more appreciated as we would not be shocked if no further examples ever show up. Nothing factual as our basis, just raw instinct.

He's the "K" at the 9 o'clock position on these 4 coins. image

It's signed by Kitton, not Kilborne! image
    hmmmmmmm....... image
    No, it's the same guy.

Now, the real question is - was it purchased by Senator Baker?? Any suggestion as to the initials preceding Baker?????

<< <i>No, it's the same guy.

Now, the real question is - was it purchased by Senator Baker?? Any suggestion as to the initials preceding Baker????? >>

Looks like Y.Q. Then again, it still looks like Wm K Kitton to me! image

Senator Baker was an Illinois Congressman when this note was written... regardless, I can't see the Y.Q. being an E.D.
    Looks like Y. Q. Then again, it still looks like Wm K Kitton to me!

Agree - it's hard to make out - but fortunately there are other references to Kilborne being the Treasurer at this period of time.

Senator Baker was the only sitting US Senator to die in war fighting for the US - would be pretty cool if it's the same Baker OR related to him.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Very nice addition to your collection. Been checking antique stores here in Oregon in search of one of the original dies for youimage-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file