Home U.S. Coin Forum

1832 cbhd guess the grade. Grade in

The grade came in at MS62. I feel that is a very conservative grade due to the proof like fields the few marks really go stick out. I am happy it graded just because of the great color, I was afraid of a BB.

This is a very nice looking raw 1832 cbhd LM-7 (thanks Barndog). It will be sent to PCGS in the morning. Tell me what you think and what it will grade.

I know it is tough from the pics to grade a coin but, lets see what we can come up with.

Gary

Comments

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    au64
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • I don't know this series well enough, but I will guess AU58. Very cool look. I also purchased my first CBHD from Barndog recently. It was a pleasant transaction and I am very pleased with the coin. Although I must admit, every time I look at it I am reminded I need glasses.
  • Does no one want to guess?
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tell us about the luster!
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    AU55-58
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very minimum, an au58.

Pictures make it difficult to go MS, but I think it's a distinct possibility.

Hopefully, they don't 'bag' it for the color.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At the very minimum, an au58.

Pictures make it difficult to go MS, but I think it's a distinct possibility.

Hopefully, they don't 'bag' it for the color. >>

Pretty much my thought process. I started at 58 then worked myself up to 63 shot 64.

• << <i>tell us about the luster! >>

There are full cartwheel lust on obv and rev. The fields on the obv/rev have a proof like look to them. On the very high points of the hair above the ear and eye there a very minute breaks in the luster. On the rev there are very minute breaks in the luster on the eagles head and top of left wing. All some pinpoint luster breaks on the eagles talons and feathers of arrows.

Overall, I dont see anything that really jumps out as being wrong with the coin.

The rim of the coin seems to be very high compared to others I have seen. a spot at 12 and 6 oclock has a little bend in the rim. If anything that worries me the most.

Gary
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    MS-64 due to eye appeal! Very pretty coin!

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a gorgeous half dime! Wow. Although there looks to be a light touch of rub on the obverse portrait on the hair just behind the eye, under the cap, that would render an AU58 grade, I would otherwise guess it will get an MS65. Tough call.

Either way, it is a beautiful coin!
    Dwayne Sessom
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I'm with the AU58 crowd
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>au64 >>

au-64? image
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    No grade within the AU58-MS66 range would surprise me, but I'll go with MS64.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
  • With Gary's description, I think it is a perfect example of an AU58.

I would think it would be worth somewhere in the area of MS64-MS65 money,
    depending on how you would grade it if it didn't have the slight luster breaks
    Gary described. If you felt it would be an MS65 then I think it should go for MS64+ money.
    If you think it would be a MS64 then I think it should go for MS63+ money.
    Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    I like Mr. Feld's assessment.

In any event, she's very nice!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cleaned/retoned.

• << <i>cleaned/retoned. >>

Does that mean body bagged or will it grade?

Gary
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that just means i think it's been cleaned and has retoned, PCGS may think otherwise. it's tough grading from pictures as can be seen from the grade guesses ranging from AU55-MS66, and the picture quality isn't real good.
  • Grade is in.

Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file