Home U.S. Coin Forum

New PCI holders.....Anyone see the lastest?

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had not seen this version yet. Pretty "busy" looking label! New PCI on eBay

Comments

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They obviously don't get any respect as it sold for AU-58 money!Graded MS-65.
    Trade $'s
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seller description on a Barber quarter has me a little perplexed:

"1898- $5 Cents Liberty"

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With those pics it could be anything.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • I like the little "SECURE" shield.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    The little shield cracks me up and I am shocked it does not come with a gold bean lol!
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't PCI acquired by David Lawrence and renamed Dominion Grading Service?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't PCI acquired by David Lawrence and renamed Dominion Grading Service? >>

Yes, but if you go to their website http://www.dominiongrading.com/ or http://www.pcicoins.com/ you'll see the following message:

<< <i>As of August 3, 2010, we have discontinued accepting submissions at Dominion Grading Service. In the time since we started DGS, both PCGS and NGC have made great strides and improvements to their grading technologies and practices and we no longer feel that our services are needed. Additionally, CAC is doing a fantastic job of assessing the quality in PCGS and NGC holders.

As for DGS, we simply do not feel that there is enough demand for collector coins at this time to merit our further investment. We have discontinued grading at DGS at this time. If you have DGS-graded coins to sell, please offer them to David Lawrence Rare Coins.

Disclaimer: please note that Dominion Grading Service is not affiliated in any way with PCI, or any similar grading service that may use the same style holders as DGS. >>

The disclaimer at the bottom would lead me to believe that David Lawrence has sold the rights to the PCI name and use of the (trademarked?) holder, hence the new PCI slab that we see on eBay? Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in...
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The website listed on the slab PCICOINS.COM goes to the Dominion Grading Service page which states they are no longer accepting submissions as of August 3, 2010. Interesting. image
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Dominion stop grading coins?
    I think they sold the stuff to someone else.

Is this the new PCI site sunset coins?
    Ed
  • Is it just me or does the logo look familiar?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    What my 1898-P PCGS 58 in the Quarter Collection looks like ...

imageimage

... I don't have a 65 ... just my 66... in the Date Set

That PCI Quarter looks like the life's been stripped out of it !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just stumbled upon the new pci website today -- www.pcicoins.com
    Looks like they are baaaaack and what would you you expect David Lawrence to do, just sit on all the hardware, software, slab inserts and shells that they had tied up with DGS -- Dominion Grading Service. In retrospect having a grading service -- DGS -- tied up with a big time dealer like David Lawrence does not seem like a good idea. If u go to their website they are signing up people for their mailing list and you will be getting 5 free submissions if you sign up. I signed up, and signed up my dog Spot too, to get the free submissions. Lets be fair and give them a chance. I would bet they will have a basic submission charge of something like ten bucks and will get a lot of action for lower value coins. Lets just see what happens. I would not be critical of them at this point.
    buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What my 1898-P PCGS 58 in the Quarter Collection looks like ...

imageimage

... I don't have a 65 ... just my 66... in the Date Set

That PCI Quarter looks like the life's been stripped out of it !! >>

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    WOW . . . Think I'll make a Hallmark, old PCI, DGS, new PCI type set ! ! ! image

That equipment sure gets around . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They obviously don't get any respect as it sold for AU-58 money!Graded MS-65. >>

Back when I was collecting slabs, I found several PCI coins that I picked up for next to nothing and crossed over at grade. I always thought their grading was decent and consistent, but I think the 2 big boys just had too much of the market for them to compete.
    imageimage

If they grade and price slabbing fees correctly and consitently there can be a place for them in the market.
    However when I look at all the wannabee grading diservices that have come and gone over the last decade they have a tuff road to hoe.
    But maybe they will learn from the mistakes of others and do this right.
    If they do that they could prosper.
    One thing going for them is the old holder shell , which has been around since 1899 I think,
    Lets hope so.
    I keep wondering when someone is going to resurect the old small anacs holder which many liked.
    Only a matter of time before that one comes back.
    buffnixx
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    when you go to the website www.sunsetcoins.com you get the old pci website -- you will notice that this page says that j t stanton is the president. this old site goes back to 2007. dunno why it would still be available to link to. this company is dead n gone.
    buffnixx
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file