Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nickel Experts ............1944-P Non-Silver Warnickel ???

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
My friend was helping me to sort and 2x2 nickels when he asked me about the "grade" on this one.
This nickel is not silver looks like any other regular nickel.
What say you?

Comments

• ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I think that's a silver nickel alright... 35% silver, anyway...

You know this because of the mintmark at the top of the reverse...

If there's no mintmark, it's fake...

Check it out here...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • I think he is wondering if is actually might NOT be silver.. In the Redbook, it says "Genuine pieces of wartime dates struck in nickel by error are known to exist."

It does look more like the nickel ones that the silver.. IMHO. Might be worth a grading send.. How can you tell? The weights are the same, according to what I see in the Redbook.

If that is nickel.. wow.. that would be QUITE the find!
    If you don't ask, you won't know...
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I wonder if they have the same tone when ringed -
    the 90% silver has a distinctive ring

as do all struck coins I have heard

I will try it in next day
  • Why does Mr. Jeffferson have doubled lips?
  • I am hoping there is another way to tell with a BU coin what is it made of, Can you "ring" it on a soft surface, as not to ding it? ;-)

<< <i>I wonder if they have the same tone when ringed -
    the 90% silver has a distinctive ring

as do all struck coins I have heard

I will try it in next day >>

If you don't ask, you won't know...
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date on this coin looks odd to me. image
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • It looks like "nickel" to me, not silver, but of course you have to do a SG test to find out for sure (or send it to NGC for a metallurgic analysis.) I would definitely look into it throughly, though, because there are transitional off-metals known for the war nickel series, where a normal "nickel" planchet was struck instead of the correct manganese/silver planchet. They're very valuable! The last one I ever saw was a well worn example. Can't remember what date the one I saw was though.

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    The best way would be to perform a specific gravity test. Silver nickels will have a different SG than those made of nickel.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On it's way to NGC got my finger's crossed.
    paying the extra $75 for metal composition?
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>paying the extra $75 for metal composition? >>

Talking to them this morning they said add 10.00 for error, but phone umber included for further discussion if needed.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Good luck!!

Things were very stressed at the Mints during the war, so almost anything could have happened. In SF, high school kids ran the cent and nickel presses on weekends and during the summer - don't know about Philadelphia, which had a less serious labor problem.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your money. By 1944 all of the copper-nickel planchets were long used up.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Save your money. By 1944 all of the copper-nickel planchets were long used up. >>

It could have been struck on a foreign planchet. FWIW it doesn't look like silver/manganese to me either! Good Luck
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    something does look off on it. im just not sure what yet thou ?
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Can you get an accurate weight?
    I would be suprized if the silver coins had the same weight as the nickle coins.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be an awesome find!Goodluck!

• << <i>Can you get an accurate weight?
    I would be suprized if the silver coins had the same weight as the nickle coins. >>

They both weigh 5 grams
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you get an accurate weight?
    I would be suprized if the silver coins had the same weight as the nickle coins. >>

They both weigh 5 grams >>

The mint would want the wartime alloy to weigh the same or very close to the prewar alloy so that the coins would work in the vending machines of that time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• This reminded me of a coin I have.... Do I own my first counterfiet?

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the nickel composition of a non silver Jefferson be high enough to make it magnetic? Did you try a simple magnet test?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This reminded me of a coin I have.... Do I own my first counterfiet? >>

Why do you think it's a fake?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    to the OP's picture...

the war nickels can have an almost salmon albeit very light patina to them.
    i see that in your photo, unless the color/hue saturation is way off.

i think it's 35% silver.

try the bounce test for sound, although i've never done it with war nickels, "it" should still be there.
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This reminded me of a coin I have.... Do I own my first counterfiet?

image >>

The Hennig nickels ( I believe that was his name) were 1944, no P over dome. He made other years as well. Something about the R in E Pluribus unum was messed up as well. Your nickel above looks like a regular 1942 nickel- they made both types in '42 nickel and silver wartime issue.
  • Looks like a Silver war Jeff to me, it has the right look IMO.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen 100's of Silver War time nickels turn/tone just like that 44-P, some even turn a ugly black, it's a war time composition nickel.

The 42-P is just that, a common worn out 42-P
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Ahhhhhh... see, I learned something today.... that being both normal and silver coins were minted in that year..... THX guys.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Save your money. By 1944 all of the copper-nickel planchets were long used up. >>

1944 nickels on CuNi blanks do exist, but of course are rather rare. Look at the Heritage archives for at least two examples.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • <Wouldn't the nickel composition of a non silver Jefferson be high enough to make it magnetic?>

No.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>try the bounce test for sound, although i've never done it with war nickels, "it" should still be there. >>

Ah ... you beat me to it. The sound of the coin bouncing off of a hard surface will be different for the "silver" nickels and the copper-nickel alloy nickel. Be sure to use a positive and and a negative control.

Save your NGC grading fee ... for now.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    I ringed both and bounced both

and they sound the same to me
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ringed both and bounced both

and they sound the same to me >>

Really? Perhaps my memory is a little faulty then. Besides color differences, I recall separating the war nickels based on sound (just like with bronze versus copper-plated cents).
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Looks Copper-Nickel from the strike. Silver nickels generally are more sharply struck.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
    if the weights are the same, and the size are the same,

does that mean the specific gravity is the same?

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to hear what this comes back as!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if the weights are the same, and the size are the same,

does that mean the specific gravity is the same? >>

The weights and diameter are the same, but the warnix are marginally thinner. The S.G. of a regular copper-nickel five cent piece is 8.92. The observed S.G.'s of warnickels average about 9.32, though they can range lower due to planchets cracks which are relatively common on warnix.

It is certainly worth doing an S.G. before paying an X-ray testing fee.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file