Home U.S. Coin Forum

As reported, the NGC multi-holder has left the building!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was reported in a thread over the weekend that NGC had discontinued the multi-holder option, so I made it a point to call them today with an inquiry. It is indeed no longer offered. The female customer service rep I spoke with almost sounded angry that I would ask which sort of surprised me.

This is sort of bad news for me since I liked the option and had planned to renew my membership with NGC to specifically group some medals and coins together using the multiholder. Has anyone ever inquired at PCGS about this option?? Does our host offer it and what are the specifics as far as number of coins, cost and other options?? The bad thing for me is that some of what I had planned to use this for isn't encapsulated by PCGS, so I'm left in the dark on what to do..

Al H.

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It seems individual slabs sell better that multi-holder slabs. I expect it's more difficult for the TPGs to manage multi-holders; probably not cost effective. One of the significant downfalls to me... once you slab coins in a multi-holder, the individual coins can no longer be added to any Registry.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that sucks!
    I had bought my son the prez bucks in the multi-holders because I like having multiple ones for viewing at once.
    I won't do the individually slabbed ones.....

So, we have ~4-5 years now and it will stop at that.

I hate it when a company can't keep a commitment.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing the service rep mentioned was cost, she said they were very expensive and demand wasn't strong.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a coin & slab collecting opportunity for the future... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a damaged multiholder and was intending to send it in for replacement someday.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I never liked the multiholder and don't recall seeing many at auction (not that it means anything). None the less, I can imagine many cases where a collector would like the option such as what keets just mentioned.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file