Home U.S. Coin Forum

My One Regret in Coin Collecting

I wish I had the ability to let a coin go after an upgrade. I have watched many Registry sets get upgraded over my years here by the owners selling off the leftovers and purchasing needed coins. I have never been able to let go. Once I get my grubby little hands on a coin it is mine and I can't seem to part with it. Is there any hope for me?

Ron
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be one of the lucky ones who has the financial resources to build the collection that you want and so you don't have to sell any of your duplicates. Must be nice! image

I don't have the financial resources to build the collection I want without selling off lesser pieces and trading up to get the more expensive coins - sometimes that even involves mega trades where I'll sacrifice several coins to get one mega coin.

It's a hobby and coins are toys (figuratively speaking). Do what makes you happy!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'm a minimalist... I can't hold on to a duplicate coin no matter how hard I try! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>You must be one of the lucky ones who has the financial resources to build the collection that you want and so you don't have to sell any of your duplicates. Must be nice! image

I don't have the financial resources to build the collection I want without selling off lesser pieces and trading up to get the more expensive coins - sometimes that even involves mega trades where I'll sacrifice several coins to get one mega coin.

It's a hobby and coins are toys (figuratively speaking). Do what makes you happy! >>

Mr. MidLife Sir I wish deep pockets were one of my problems. I should have included in the OP that if I could let go it would have been a huge benefit to my purchasing needed coins. I sometimes think if I would sell off some of my extras I could buy this or that but just can't force myself to do it.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the duplicate. I have sold many duplicates and I have also Kept many duplicates, it all depends on The COIN.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have that problem at all.
    As a matter of fact I often sell a coin before I upgrade as is the case with a certian MS65RD Philly mint I'm getting ready to list on ebay Ron. image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish I had the ability to let a coin go after an upgrade. I have watched many Registry sets get upgraded over my years here by the owners selling off the leftovers and purchasing needed coins. I have never been able to let go. Once I get my grubby little hands on a coin it is mine and I can't seem to part with it. Is there any hope for me?

Ron >>

If a coin is scarce enough that it takes some time to find an upgrade, it's probably NOT a bad thing
    to hold on to it if you don't need the money.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I only sell if I pick up a nicer example which makes the lesser grade one look inferior. That and its nice to be able to fund new purchases by selling off dupes.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My primary focus as a dealer is to coach people who "cannot let go" into a focused plan to upgrade their collections with no out-of-pocket cost. Trading all your second, third, (and in some cases many more) tiers, into higher grade coins that help your set is called "collecting" keeping everything is called hoarding.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My primary focus as a dealer is to coach people who "cannot let go" into a focused plan to upgrade their collections with no out-of-pocket cost. Trading all your second, third, (and in some cases many more) tiers, into higher grade coins that help your set is called "collecting" keeping everything is called hoarding. >>

Collecting does not necessarily have anything at all to do with upgrading "into higher grade coins that help your set". Your opinion may be that it does, but many others (my self included) don't collect grades--they collect COINS. This has absolutely nothing to do with hoarding.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey melvin289 - what do you think of the "box of 20" method of collecting?

I think you should give it a try. It's a very rewarding experience. image
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think its ok not to let go if you can still keep track of your collection.

If it gets to the point you cannot let go and you cannot keep track of your collection....its time to let go.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no hope. None, you are doomed. Which doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish I had the ability to let a coin go after an upgrade. I have watched many Registry sets get upgraded over my years here by the owners selling off the leftovers and purchasing needed coins. I have never been able to let go. Once I get my grubby little hands on a coin it is mine and I can't seem to part with it. Is there any hope for me?

Ron >>

Ron-

If that is your one regret ... then you are doing just fine! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

• << <i>My primary focus as a dealer is to coach people who "cannot let go" into a focused plan to upgrade their collections with no out-of-pocket cost. Trading all your second, third, (and in some cases many more) tiers, into higher grade coins that help your set is called "collecting" keeping everything is called hoarding. >>

Great point. I too have a very hard time upgrading coins from my personal collection. I border on hoarding.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    My major regret in coin collecting has to do with missed opportunities on new releases, missed because I wasn't keeping up with the hobby. On the other hand, I DID pay attention during the 2006-2008 Mint releases--which has ended up being my greatest satisfaction.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My major regret in coin collecting has to do with missed opportunities on new releases, missed because I wasn't keeping up with the hobby. On the other hand, I DID pay attention during the 2006-2008 Mint releases--which has ended up being my greatest satisfaction. >>

Same here- exactly.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • It depends on the coin for me, I have two sweet NGC * MS67 Yorks and I can't tell which one I like best, so I just keep both. Seriously, not being able to sell anything is not good! I love this stuff but IMHO if you can't sell a coin, you don't own it, it owns you.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You must be one of the lucky ones who has the financial resources to build the collection that you want and so you don't have to sell any of your duplicates. Must be nice! image

It's a hobby and coins are toys (figuratively speaking). Do what makes you happy! >>

I've done that!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I regret NOT holding on to a few of my dupes.

Early Lincoln cents in XF/AU mostly, sold off when I upgraded to MS examples.

Wish I had some of 'em back.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the big deal about having a couple of grading sets?????
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, I wish I only had one regret. Regrets, I've had a few...but I did it my way.
  • Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and comments. The Box of 20: It is my understanding that a box of 20 is the best coins you can afford with a hope of future profit. I have, in my opinion, some nice coins but that is my opinion. The problem I have is I love my coins and once I gain possession of a coin I just can't seem to let it go. It would be like selling my children, if I had children. I know that as long as I own a coin it will be 99% well cared for. I have had an accident or two in my time. We never own the coins, we possess them for a while, die, and someone fights over them.

Ron

• << <i>I wish I had the ability to let a coin go after an upgrade. I have watched many Registry sets get upgraded over my years here by the owners selling off the leftovers and purchasing needed coins. I have never been able to let go. Once I get my grubby little hands on a coin it is mine and I can't seem to part with it. Is there any hope for me?

Ron >>

No, Ron, I am afraid not. You, my friend, are a collector. That is good and bad, though. Bad for your wife, good for your kids.

• << <i>Gosh, I wish I only had one regret. Regrets, I've had a few...but I did it my way. >>

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gosh, I wish I only had one regret. Regrets, I've had a few...but I did it my way. >>

image >>

Gosh, I hate that song! One of the most overrated, self-absorbed, pig-headed, egomaniacal pieces of music ever to be released--not surprising coming from Sinatra!

Gee, do you think I feel strongly about it?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file