Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Trade Dollar

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always been fascinated by trade dollars and this will be my first.

This was part of a silver lot in a bankruptcy auction.

I think it's real but I'm no expert. The coin looks better in person. The photos were
taken outside on a overcast day.

Thanks for looking. Feedback greatly appreciated.

I'm working on my pictures

Bruce

Comments

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks funky to me.

• COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    looks real to me.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most 77-P's come very weakly struck,especially the obverse. Yours looks somewhat suspicious in the pics,however it's not a date that I see faked that often,so it may be real.
    Trade $'s
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks legit and XF. I like the look but the pics could be a bit better. I
    doubt that it is blue in color.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • cool coin, Real and well struck which is scarce. XF45
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Authentic and a very decent strike for a 77. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote the coin is real but the picture is Fake.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A genuine XF40 trade dollar...
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Can't tell for sure by the pictures but the authenticity looks suspicious.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't tell for sure by the pictures but the authenticity looks suspicious. >>

Agree. We need better pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

<< <i>Can't tell for sure by the pictures but the authenticity looks suspicious. >>

Agree. We need better pics. >>

the pics are fine to see date placement and common die characteristics that point to real, also the coloration is a thick aged silver patina that i have never seen faked effectively on coins. the only thing one cant tell for sure is luster but the color pattern looks to be protecting some and that would be the difference between xf40 & xf45. my guess is 45
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you are buying raw trade dollars ... especially from a "bankruptcy" auction. I'll bet everything was "as is" with no returns permitted..

I'm no expert in Trade Dollars so I can't make a call on the authenticity of the piece you purchased.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree. We need better pics. >>

the pics are fine to see date placement and common die characteristics that point to real, also the coloration is a thick aged silver patina that i have never seen faked effectively on coins. the only thing one cant tell for sure is luster but the color pattern looks to be protecting some and that would be the difference between xf40 & xf45. my guess is 45 >>

I trust Crypto's expertise and analysis, even based on sub-par images, of the type in this thread.

Still, for most buyers, I think it is a very bad idea to buy uncertified Trade Dollars.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the pics are fine to see date placement and common die characteristics that point to real...... >>

False dies are frequently made using real coins and the features on the real coin such as date placement are accurately duplicated on the counterfeit coins produced by the false die.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

<< <i>the pics are fine to see date placement and common die characteristics that point to real...... >>

False dies are frequently made using real coins and the features on the real coin such as date placement are accurately duplicated on the counterfeit coins produced by the false die. >>

Very true but those two methods (electrotype and casting) leave their own blatant tells. My comments were to show what I look at and not discredit others opinions or methods. Even still we're only talking about a 200$(retail) coin if it makes it into 45 PCGS plastic so if someone is unsure, the risk-reward of getting a fake is not in the buyers favor.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm an inexperienced coin photographer but I'm working on improving my skills. The photos are authentic
    but I had the camera set incorrectly for outdoor pictures and I'm pretty sure thats why the pictures are
    way to blue.

I would not normally buy raw Trade dollars but the lot consisted of mostly Morgans and Peace dollars with
    a few Trade dollars and the price was right without the Trade dollars being factored into the equation.

I'll try to take better pictures.

Bruce

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file