Home U.S. Coin Forum

multiholder and uniholder question

Is it preferable to slab sets of coins as singles, or to combine a set in a multiholder/uniholder slab? Those two terms, multiholders and uniholders are often treated as synonyms. I'm thinking of such types of sets as the four denominations for a year of gold eagles, platinum eagles, or 2008 gold buffalos. Do sets as singles usually sell for more than combined sets? Any other considerations?

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think they are a nice option for personalized presentation that's cost effective. i believe at NGC it's $5/coin to re-holder in the multi-holder. you mentioned uniholder, is that the PCGS equivalent, and if so, what are the guidelines??

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    PCGS has called them multicoin holders if I recall correctly. Some firms in the trade such as Apmex call them uniholders.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Ngc will only do these for bulk orders now unfortunately.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • For me it is a question of do I have a coherent set or not? I am a 'completion nut' when it comes to US silver commemorative coinage (by type), so I just bought the 50 state quarter silver proofs in 10 PCGS uniholders, the DC and territorial silver proof quarters in an NGC multiholder, and the 2010 silver proof ATBs in a PCGS uniholder. No way did I want to mess with individual slabs for these widgets, but I do like to slab all of my coins even if it is stupid to do so from a financial perspective.

I have other sets, mostly world coin sets, in NGC multiholders, where it makes sense.

I do wish PCGS made better boxes for the uniholder. I like the PCGS holder better than the NGC multiholder, but the PCGS boxes are kind of lousy.

For your bullion coin sets, I would definitely go the multiholder or uniholder route. Much more impressive visually.

• << <i>Ngc will only do these for bulk orders now unfortunately. >>

Yeah and thats just dumb! I was hoping to someday maybe have a set of War Nickles put in a multholder. That would look cool!

• << <i>Ngc will only do these for bulk orders now unfortunately. >>

I didn't know that - thanks for the heads up.
    Thanks for replies. Multicoin holders with sets of bullion coins receive unique numbers from PCGS as if the entire set were an individual coin, and all the members of a set must be the same grade. By contrast, NGC allows coins in a multiholder to have different grades, with each individual coin separately listed on the holder.

<< <i>Ngc will only do these for bulk orders now unfortunately. >>

Is that a very recent policy change?
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ngc will only do these for bulk orders now unfortunately. >>

Is that a very recent policy change? >>

Yes, starting this year. Its idiotic, and they will lose business by doing so.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what does NGC consider a "bulk" order to be??

<< <i>what does NGC consider a "bulk" order to be?? >>

By the way Keets, your NGC multiholder of American Revolution Bicentennial medals is a magnificent item, with a tremendous visual impact. Putting the individual separate coins side-by-side, raw or slabbed singly, would in my opinion be much less powerful. Congratulations and thanks for showing it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file