Home U.S. Coin Forum

Handy with websites?

I am looking for some quick advice dealing with CSS. If you can be of help please post here and or PM me. I am looking to setup a photo gallery of sorts. (For US coins)

I already know what I want and how it should work. In fact I even have a demo. The editing, etc should be easy to me, I just seem to be botching the setup of it.

Thanks in advance!

To keep this coin related...

Comments

• I figured it out. That should fix my problems. image
  • OK, so here is what I tested. I really like the results. Yes to some of you out there this might seem a bit simple,

What I did was I wanted to make it so my coin set could be viewed by thumb nails or by clicking on the photos for larger images. Just like the NGC registry. Here are the sample results.

Comments and ideas welcome. On that note I will be reimaging all the coins over once again so I can finally get it right this time.

Quarter Set - New Layout
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows and IE8 = clicking doesn't do anything for me.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clicking the thumbnail
    doesn't seem to work
    LCoopie = Les
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Works just fine on Google Chrome and Firefox. I do like the gallery, my only gripe would be that the thumbnails are way too small.
  • I need to fix that with IE 8. I will do that shortly so others can view.
  • I am working to debug this for IE 8 and 9... Seems to have snagged, but once fixed it should be OK for all browsers.
  • How many coin forums are you going to spam with this?

This is the 4th one so far!
  • Considering I only ever posted in 2 forums... you must be thinking of someone else? Also considering my post count I would hardly call it spam. To close this post... not everybody post on both sides of the street. Some post only here or there.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many coin forums are you going to spam with this?

This is the 4th one so far! >>

I would not call this spam! He is looking for advice on his coin site to host his photos.

That said, and as you already know, the clicking is not working for IE8.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many coin forums are you going to spam with this?

This is the 4th one so far! >>

SPAM = commercial stuff.

he's not selling anything.

shameless self-promotion of one's collection seems to be standard business practice around these parts.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Works fine in Opera.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, works great on mac laptop. Wish I was capable of such a feat!------------------------BigE

PS I have an xf-au 32-s coming back soon from pcgs-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of uniformity, so I would prefer that the larger images all be either black background (preferred) or the "reflective" photoshopped version (overhyped and overused, in my opinion), but not both.

Also, depending on the amount of text and the size of the images, the navigation arrows appear in different places on the screen. This is a pain, because you cannot easily click through the gallery. You click, find the new arrow position, click that, find the new position...it is aggravating.

Now, I'm not saying my site is the end-all be-all, but you might be able to look through my code to see if it gives you some ideas:
    Silver Britannias
  • Cool link Michael. Once I get all the images done the arrows, etc will all line up. This has been more of a test session than anything else. I changed from my original black to now a white background. I am still tinkering with things, and trying to figure out why IE 8 is not working! I am a perfectionist, so I will tinkering for days likely!
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    IE is a piece of crap that doesn't implement code the same way as Firefox or Chrome. I finally just designed my site to work with Firefox, and mostly work with IE, and too bad for anyone not using Firefox. Get with the times, IE users!
  • Did you try putting the id="p006" first before the class statement?

You also have a lot of nested div statements that might be confusing IE. You can also use seperate <a> tags to name your sections.

Hope this helps!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file