Home U.S. Coin Forum

Saw my first set of hockey pucks yesterday.

Are you guys serious? A major non event in my book. No denomination? (or they suppose to be quarters) This has taken numismatic greed and herd mentality to a new low. 33,000 sets are a low mintage? since when. I will be waiting when the mint sells them just like you for one reason... FLIP. On second thought these will be a bargain when silver goes over $100 oz.

Comments

• The Mint is testing the market with these clunkers. Next to come....

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you guys serious? A major non event in my book. No denomination? (or they suppose to be quarters) This has taken numismatic greed and herd mentality to a new low. 33,000 sets are a low mintage? since when. I will be waiting when the mint sells them just like you for one reason... FLIP. On second thought these will be a bargain when silver goes over $100 oz. >>

"QUARTER DOLLAR"
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Go Blackhawks! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you guys serious? A major non event in my book. No denomination? (or they suppose to be quarters) This has taken numismatic greed and herd mentality to a new low. 33,000 sets are a low mintage? since when. I will be waiting when the mint sells them just like you for one reason... FLIP. On second thought these will be a bargain when silver goes over $100 oz. >>

I agree with that "herd" business but that $100 per ounce business won't happen in my lifetime nor your's I expect.

If anything at all, these pieces represent nothing more than bullion and are about as collectible as tea cup saucers. Too bad the folks in the herd are too busy scrambling to get these that they cannot see the cliff they're about to tumble over as the only way long term costs will be recovered is IF silver climbs over $100 per ounce.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a set at the Boeing show yesterday didn't even stop to ask the price.
    Talk about wearing a hole in your pocket quick let along emptying your wallet.
    A set of them in slabs would fill a safety deposit box too.
    I'll take a couple of gold Eagles first.
  • cool pocket piece?
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't like the Silver Eagle Program, where you could start with a $100/year investment and build a collection. This isn't going to act the same way, and while 47,000 is a small number for an 2008/2007 Reverse Silver Eagle and 30,000 is a small number for a 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle - 33,000 or 27,000 may not be a small number for the 5 (count them - FIVE) of each of the 2010 coins, or 10 (count them - TEN) of each of the 2010 coins if you figure mintmarks.

I think that anyone who starts to collect these without a prior committment to holding a significant amount of physical silver bullion - may find themselves wondering why they thought that they could get rich buying 5 oz silver bullion from the Mint and its distributors. I think that the volatility of silver will cause a mass liquidation of these coins at least once or twice during the 11 years of this program and that some folks who are paying 35% to 40% premiums just to get into these coins may be disappointed. But, they won't be nearly as disappointed as those who paid 300% to 400% markups on HSN or other media-based bulk sellers.

I happen to believe that silver may approach $100/oz during the length of this program. Unfortunately, as the price of silver rises, the hefty premiums for these coins will absolutely melt away and unless you bought them at $900/set, you will not be very happy with the result. If you have patience and don't mind jumping through all of the hoops to get a set from the distributors who actually follow the Mint guidelines, you will do alright - mainly because silver is going to go up, not because the coins will mature as numismatic rarities.

Just thought I'd mention it. Don't say nobody ever warned ya.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my first set flipped for the 4th time.
    1)Mint to AP
    2)AP to Secondary
    3)Secondary to Me
    4)Me to Customer

25 ounces of silver is equivalent to 2 ounces of gold at the user end. Everyone made money and nobody is complaining. Strange isn't it ?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Worst of all, friends of mine saw them at the FUN show, they said they were ugly.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • The notion that these are a straight-up bullion coin is silly. I know, I know, they are "bullion" as called for under the legislation. It doesn't do any good calling them a bullion coin and dismissing the high prices they're garnering because they've obviously transcended the bullion status.

Even if you don't like the imagery, they're impressive in their size. They represent beautiful places people in this country can actually connect to--not dead presidents and their spouses. The hard-core collectors might shun these. But these pieces might just bring out the collector within for many people in this country who have not been interested in the USM's modern history of boring issues and could care less about wrong reverses and rare mint marks.

I agree, paying through the teeth for these on ebay is kind of silly. But picking them up for $900 from an AP seems like a win-win.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Buy three sets from different APs @ apprx $930, sell three sets @ apprx $2000 ea on fleabay.

My math tells me $2790 spent, $6000 in, fleabay + paypal total percentage @ 13% on $6000 = $5220 total take

$5220 - $2790 = +$2430.

I'm not big money. I gotta scramble when opportunity knocks.

Then I'll probably buy a St Gaudens or something. image
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint is testing the market with these clunkers. Next to come....

image >>

I wonder how many reps you can do with two of these during your bench press? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Gee, I wonder what a roll of those Elizabeth's weigh?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • I would've bought one of those Elizabeth's, but I have a strict rule to only buy struck coins, not cast. image
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    It strikes me a very curious why there's such interest in paying the huge premiums we've all noticed for bullion platters, when the Mint will be producing both uncirculated and Proof versions of these same coins later this year.

Presumably, these coins will not only be made with a higher degree of quality (don't laugh, now...), they'll also be available directly from the Mint without any mark-up stops along the way.

I assume they will also have the "W" mintmark, too...

I can't believe the bullion issues will be more "collectible" than the soon-to-come next generations, but whatever floats your boat, eh?

No interest in these here, but it'll be interesting to watch unfold.

"The collector walks with blinders on. He sees nothing but the prize. In fact, the acquisitive instinct is incompatible with true appreciation of beauty."
    (Ann Morrow Lindbergh)
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, when I saw them at a show last week, I was totally unimpressed... they dont have enough weight like a 10 oz and they are not artistic... they almost look like something a private minter would come up.... we will be happy to pay spot to anyone who wants to get rid of them.... if anyone wants more.... well you go rip off the public... we will not...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file