Home U.S. Coin Forum

(Lincoln DDO) Well this has made my day...

I was just looking over an '09 VDB I've had for about a year now. I bought it at a great price for the sole purpose of flipping it and we all know how that goes when we like the coin! It's been sitting with the rest of the collection and apparently I didn't look it over too closely when it was purchased. Please excuse the "macro-zoomed-thru 10x loupe" pics but here is my unattributed FS-1102 in a 65RD holder. image

It's amazing what can be found in your OWN collection when you take the time to look.

Comments

• nice find!!
    imageimageimage
  • The VDB DDO-002 is so overrated. I think it is next to impossible to see the doubling unless it is a near MS coin, with lighting at just a certain angle, and super magnification.. I have a DDO-002 with machine doubling on the reverse. The reverse is much more dramatic looking than the obverse.

Question to the OP, in that coin does the IN GOD WE TRUST show any "ghosting" of the letters?

What I would like to know is how on some VDB's you have those die chips in LIBERTY but not the fat 9's in the date of the DDO-002
  • RWRW Posts: 485

<< <i>The VDB DDO-002 is so overrated. I think it is next to impossible to see the doubling unless it is a near MS coin, with lighting at just a certain angle, and super magnification.. I have a DDO-002 with machine doubling on the reverse. The reverse is much more dramatic looking than the obverse.

Question to the OP, in that coin does the IN GOD WE TRUST show any "ghosting" of the letters?

What I would like to know is how on some VDB's you have those die chips in LIBERTY but not the fat 9's in the date of the DDO-002 >>

If you stare long enough there's some real light doubling on IN GOD WE TRUST. I agree that the doubling is pretty tough to find...I was just looking through the loupe again at the 9 and had to rotate it to find the line and serif split. I don't know how you'd see it much less than MS. I don't know if the the two clashes (under chin / at C in CENT) would still be visible but would assume they are unique pick up points???
  • loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    As a doubled die collector, I don't have much trouble seeing the doubling in the DDO#2. It's a real doubled die, and not overrated as some argue.
    -Gabe
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a doubled die collector, I don't have much trouble seeing the doubling in the DDO#2. It's a real doubled die, and not overrated as some argue. >>

I think there are doubled dies out there that are more overrated than the 1909 VDB FS-1102. At least the FS-1102 can be seen easily, usually w/o magnification, is in the Cherrypicker's guide and can be attributed by PCGS. The values of the FS-1102 are all over the place depending on who is selling, but I'm guessing that the variety at least doubles the value of the OP's coin. Nice!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    On most class 6 DDO Lincolns the places that it shows on will be the arched spines (verticals) on LIBERTY and on most of them the WE will look like it has ramps on the horizontal bars of the E.

Ed
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow . . I have to admit, I am watching NE-NY in the BFL, but even after careful study, I am missing the doubling.

My fault . . . I am not seeing the point of this. I need to focus more I guess . .

Drunner
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    These pics might help.
    These are other class 6 DDOs.
    Notice the arches on the vertical bars of LIBERTY and the ramps on the horizontal bars of the E of WE.
    Those are easy pick up points on most class 6 DDO Lincolns.
    On that 1909 it shows well on LIBERTY, then the die chips help verify it's die-2.

1934-p:

1941-p:

Ed
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow forum member once told me at a show. "I dont collect any varieties that cannot be seen with the naked eye"
    may the fonz be with you...always...

<< <i>

<< <i>As a doubled die collector, I don't have much trouble seeing the doubling in the DDO#2. It's a real doubled die, and not overrated as some argue. >>

I think there are doubled dies out there that are more overrated than the 1909 VDB FS-1102. At least the FS-1102 can be seen easily, usually w/o magnification, is in the Cherrypicker's guide and can be attributed by PCGS. The values of the FS-1102 are all over the place depending on who is selling, but I'm guessing that the variety at least doubles the value of the OP's coin. Nice! >>

I don't have any intent to sell any time soon but I was curious as to the premium and checked Heritage. The last one in 65 RD went for over $1200 but the one previous went for $250 or so. Who knows... At least now I have an excuse to buy a regular 09 VDB since this one is all goofed up with a DDO! image
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a fellow forum member once told me at a show. "I dont collect any varieties that cannot be seen with the naked eye" >>

That only works when one is young. Get old enough and it's hard to see a 1955/1955 without glasses. image

<< <i>Wow . . I have to admit, I am watching NE-NY in the BFL, but even after careful study, I am missing the doubling.

My fault . . . I am not seeing the point of this. I need to focus more I guess . .

Drunner >>

The only pic it's visible in is the the first, check the split on the bottom of the first 9. The other pics are just of the key die markers (die chips in LIBERTY and obv / rev clashes).

Thanks all for comments.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I see it!

Thanks!

Drunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file