Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please Weigh your Fechtwanger if you can

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am compiling data on the Feuchtwanger cents and if you have one and it is raw, and you have an accurate scale, could you weigh it for me and note the variety?

This is in an attempt to determine which variety was submitted to the US Mint by Feuchtwanger. The weight is recorded at 46 grains....though in my research Ive not found any that heavy (they average from 34 to 41 grains).

I want to see if the weights are consistent within the variety.

Comments

• I wish I could contribute to your research ambro, but I dont own a Feuchtwanger........yet.
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am compiling data on the Feuchtwanger cents and if you have one and it is raw, and you have an accurate scale, could you weigh it for me and note the variety?

This is in an attempt to determine which variety was submitted to the US Mint by Feuchtwanger. The weight is recorded at 46 grains....though in my research Ive not found any that heavy (they average from 34 to 41 grains).

I want to see if the weights are consistent within the variety. >>

A good research idea.

Do you have any idea who made his planchets for him, or if he did them himself?

The heavy piece that was sent to the government may have been picked to send because it happened to be well struck, and it may have been well struck because the planchet happened to be randomly heavy.

Unfortunately, I have no pieces to weigh. I will ask over on the dealer network if anybody has any out of plastic.

TD.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks has recorded weights on several pieces which they auctioned,

Feuchtwanger is know to have his own equipment for rolling and cutting planchets. He presented specimen cents along with a 'circular', I understand these went to congressmen, senators, US Mint execs...but I know no more than that.

It could prove out that within the variety...weights vary dramatically. Research will tell.....

so yes, any weights are much appreciated.
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two. Will weigh them tomorrow.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure my "Feuchtwanger" is very heavy! However, never considered weighing it... is this coin related? image

• << <i>I'm sure my "Feuchtwanger" is very heavy! However, never considered weighing it... is this coin related? image >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • RWRW Posts: 485

<< <i>I'm sure my "Feuchtwanger" is very heavy! However, never considered weighing it... is this coin related? image >>

Yeah but MWallace has two! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file