Home U.S. Coin Forum

Example of buy the coin not the holder!

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I wonder how many people looked at the holder and not the coin on this one!

Auction Link

Comments

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand your point - the coin looks fine as an MS63 to me.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Is it a VAM?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand your point - the coin looks fine as an MS63 to me. >>

I believe the issue is the absence of the S on the reverse. image
  • It isn't a 78-S.

Son of a gun!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I knew it... it's the missing "S" VAM!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • IF (and it's a big IF) the reverse picture is of the same coin as the obverse picture.

• << <i>I don't understand your point - the coin looks fine as an MS63 to me. >>

Like the title to the thread says Mark..."buy the coin....." LOL
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
    May I add..that's MY B&M selling the coin...and I know he'd make it right...if indeed there is not an S there.

I just gave him a call to give him a heads up.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 7/8 tf.
    Many happy BST transactions

<< <i>

Like the title to the thread says Mark..."buy the coin....." LOL >>

Fair pointsimage That's one of the things that can happen when someone focuses too much on grading. I sent a message to the seller, to let him know.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I was just about to say that.... looks like a good deal if the B&M delivers on this one. You know it could be a case of the reverse picture being the incorrect photo.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fair pointsimage That's one of the things that can happen when someone focuses too much on grading. I sent a message to the seller, to let him know. >>

Why send a message to the seller, just opening a can of worms and someone gets unhappyimage--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fair pointsimage That's one of the things that can happen when someone focuses too much on grading. I sent a message to the seller, to let him know. >>

Why send a message to the seller, just opening a can of worms and someone gets unhappyimage--------BigE >>

Because, either the wrong reverse image was provided. Or the coin was listed incorrectly, which might lead to the buyer and seller not having had a meeting of the minds regarding what was being sold/agreed upon.
  • I don't know Mark. Myself, I would not get involved in the business of others like that unless invited to do so by one of the principles.
    No upside in it for ya and probably no happy ending for them either.
    JMHO.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

<< <i>I don't know Mark. Myself, I would not get involved in the business of others like that unless invited to do so by one of the principles.
    No upside in it for ya and probably no happy ending for them either.
    JMHO. >>

If the buyer, seller or both are unaware it, how would/could they invite ayone to let them know about it?image
    I bet you 99 to 1 that the buyer does know. Probably a cherry pick that you are about to ruin. I would stay out of it since it really isn't any of your buisness. I know you are trying to help but this dealer is a big boy, and this isn't going down at your b&m or your dealers table.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>I bet you 99 to 1 that the buyer does know. Probably a cherry pick that you are about to ruin. I would stay out of it since it really isn't any of your buisness. I know you are trying to help but this dealer is a big boy, and this isn't going down at your b&m or your dealers table. >>

Cherrypick, or listing error?

I don't know or care who the seller is or who the buyer is, and I feel it is the right thing to do. So, we will have to agree to disagree.

And another poster already said he had called the seller to let him know anyway, so my message to the seller is not going to change things.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of them like that.

They are all smaller, golden and the dates start around 2000.

But other than that, the buyer will be getting the Morgans they paid for.

Don't get involved?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I understand what you are saying but I guess I don't like butting into others dealings unless asked to do so. Unless of course there was a gross negligence by the seller trying to scam an unknowing buyer. Yes Mark I agree to disagree with you on this one probably the first because out of most of your posts I do agree with you. Just not today. image

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 7/8 1878 P Morgan.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the seller was careless---wrong rev pic or he didn't bother to look at the coin. If the buyer want to go through with the sale, this transaction should be honored by the seller otherwise he deserves a neg.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Amazing how some individuals get when viewing old items on ebay.

This item sold Dec. 21 and the buyer responded on 12/24 that it was a good deal. Is it just possible that the reverse pic may have been wrong by accident?

I would imagine that the buyer would have contacted the seller if they did not get what was listed and the issue would have been dealt with.

I'm sure that one could find hundreds of accidental mistakes in listings on ebay, especially from a large volume seller as such is the case.

Things happen and this one is just part of life- not a tragedy by any means.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet you 99 to 1 that the buyer does know. Probably a cherry pick that you are about to ruin. I would stay out of it since it really isn't any of your buisness. I know you are trying to help but this dealer is a big boy, and this isn't going down at your b&m or your dealers table. >>

I agree with this statement 110%.
    I'll come up with something.

<< <i>

Cherrypick, or listing error?

I don't know or care who the seller is or who the buyer is, and I feel it is the right thing to do. So, we will have to agree to disagree.

And another poster already said he had called the seller to let him know anyway, so my message to the seller is not going to change things. >>

It wasn't just 'another poster'....

May I add..that's MY B&M selling the coin...and I know he'd make it right...if indeed there is not an S there.
    I just gave him a call to give him a heads up.

So, as Tdec said, could very well be a cherrypick that just went bust. I know if it were me, and I took the chance on it, with noone butting in on it, and I received the coin that was TITLED, thats one thing....but if it was actually a 'pick that just went south because of someone butting in....but now we'll never know.

I see that this listing has ended, and there are no 1878-S Morgans in PCGS holders listed by that seller. I wonder if someone WAS going to get a nice cherrypick, until.........

<< <i>I see that this listing has ended, and there are no 1878-S Morgans in PCGS holders listed by that seller. I wonder if someone WAS going to get a nice cherrypick, until......... >>

The auction ended 25 days before this thread was started and the buyer left positive feedback (indicating "Nice coin! A++ ebayer Thanks!") 22 days before the thread was started. Do you have any reason to think this thread prevented what you like to call
    "a nice cherrypick"?

<< <i>I see that this listing has ended, and there are no 1878-S Morgans in PCGS holders listed by that seller. I wonder if someone WAS going to get a nice cherrypick, until......... >>

Actually, the auction closed back on December 21, my assumption is that the cherrypick closed without hinderance from us here on the boards.

When I contacted the seller, I knew neither of the relative value of the 1878 S vs. 1878 regardless of the 7/8 TF designation, nor was I aware that it was an auction weeks past completion. My intent in contacting the seller was to let him know so, in the event it was a recently completed auction, he could contact the buyer and avoid any negative consequences from the mislabeling.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Is cherrypick the correct classification? I'm not so sure.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

<< <i>

The auction ended 25 days before this thread was started and the buyer left positive feedback (indicating "Nice coin! A++ ebayer Thanks!") 22 days before the thread was started. Do you have any reason to think this thread prevented what you like to call
    "a nice cherrypick"? >>

Valid point...I should have noticed it when the post was made yesterday. However, hypothetically, it could very well prevent it in the future.

<< <i>Is cherrypick the correct classification? I'm not so sure. >>

No, it isn't.....be more of a 'rip'.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file