Home U.S. Coin Forum

Whats the going rate for a nice copy of Breens encyclopedia of US coins?

BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
With the original jacket/cover in good condition?------------------BigE
I'm glad I am a Tree

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    I would pay $100.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh Oh somebody mentioned "B"again.

Please resume bashing posts.

(PS Book averages 175-225)
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $160.00 and up to over $200.00 depending on condition.

Many due to age have spine glue issues, so a tight spine and being near mint will command more.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    A couple years ago it was posted free on the internet...
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple years ago it was posted free on the internet... >>

The keyword = WAS image

The market was flooded with books when that happened... Bet a lot of collectors bought their books back image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$160.00 and up to over $200.00 depending on condition.

Many due to age have spine glue issues, so a tight spine and being near mint will command more. >>

I've seen the falling-apart books fetch more than $150 on ebay.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you buying or selling? Most of the dealers seem to have a couple in stock...so maybe $125 to sell quickly. I've had a nearly new spare for a couple of years I've offered at $155 to dealer friends with no takers. The last few book auctions each have had one at $200 with no bidders.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • I put one up on BST for $175 delivered today.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the binding and the spine is weak. If you drop the book wrong...its damaged. Quite heavy. I pulled my dust jacket off and using the ol high school trick with a brown paper bag made a new cover for it.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    My copy is full of scribbles and notes and strikeouts....certainly not very "saleable" now.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah the binding and the spine is weak. If you drop the book wrong...its damaged. Quite heavy. I pulled my dust jacket off and using the ol high school trick with a brown paper bag made a new cover for it. >>

Thats a good idea ambro, I think I even remember howimage--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Who knew this book was worth much? I've had one on a shelf for years. Still looks as new as the day I bought it.... not that I can remember doing so! image

<EDIT> Just looked.. printed in 1988. Dust jacket near perfect!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My copy is full of scribbles and notes and strikeouts....certainly not very "saleable" now. >>

I suspect RWB's copy of Breen is actually worth a lot more than a "normal" copy.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I suspect RWB's copy of Breen is actually worth a lot more than a "normal" copy.

Funny! I'd better pull the book out and initial all the scribbles....? image
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My copy is full of scribbles and notes and strikeouts....certainly not very "saleable" now. >>

NAME YOUR PRICE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file