Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think these jeffersons would grade?

Im not the best at grading jefferson nickels so would like to get a few opinions on these 2 1958 d jeffersons. So what would you grade these 2?

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Hard to tell if they're full steps from your photos.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>Hard to tell if they're full steps from your photos. >>

The first one is a def full steps. The second coin has a shot but imo should miss.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hard to tell if they're full steps from your photos. >>

The first one is a def full steps. The second coin has a shot but imo should miss. >>

On the first coin, I wasn't sure about the bottom two steps between "I" and "E".
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Looks like 65-66 FS on the first one and 65 non fs on the second. May not be worth the grading fees though.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The first is is a solid MS-66FS (very nice clean Jeff)
    The second one is MS-65 (there is a nick across the steps between the thrid and forth pillar)
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first coin has a great shot at 66FS, the second one could also but I see it as more of a 65FS/66 liner due to the light carbon spotting and slightly muted luster.

Just so you know, 1958-D nickels are by far the best quality nickels of the era (call it 1954-1970), if you look at the pop report you'll see way more 67s and full step coins than in the surrounding years. It's also possible to find examples with prooflike fields (your first coin appears to have that look). Years ago I submitted some coins from my raw FS nickel set and "made" a couple of 1958-D coins in 66FS holders, I still remember them as perhaps the nicest coins in my whole set (and I still say one of them really should have gone 67FS...).

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I don't think the first one will go over 65 at PCGS because of weaker obverse strike, multiple small spots, lack of blazing luster
    NGC likes the prooflike fields better and could see that in a NGC 66 oe 67

possibly FS at PCGS but question the line between the 3rd and 4th steps and to the right under the 3rd and 4th pillar

something about the 2nd coin has me scratching my head -
    thinking possibly a AU58 slider
    wondering about the mark extending towards the nose from the ear - is this a lamination error?
    wondering about the mark on the eye brow

so would need to see in hand before narrowing from 58, 66, genuine - planchett defect (my guesses from pic)
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    the steps might be good but the top of the colum area looks pretty weak.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coins. I'd have a hard time going much higher than 65 on either of them; without seeing the fields in a different light as I can't make out any hairlines under the current lighting.

Is that a clash coming up on the left top of Monticello on the 2nd one?
  • Coin #1: 64 FS

Coin #2: 64

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file