Home U.S. Coin Forum

my experience at a local B&M

toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi All,
I have read and enjoyed many of the stories of sellers and buyers and their different experiences. I thought I would share one of my experiences at a local B&M.

I live about 25 miles from any type of coin shop so when I get into town, I look around a lot. I went into one that sold jewelery and coins. Not a lot of stuff but I noticed a neat off metal error, a nickel on a cent planchet. Cool. I asked to look at it and the person behind the counter (not the owner) shows it to me. I ask how much. The guy goes over to the owner and comes back and says "$100"

I wasn't up on off metal errors so I passed. A month later, I am in the same store. I checked some pricing and decided that wasn't too bad a price. I would see if it was still there. It was. This time the owner waits on me. I ask to see the nickel again and he shows it to me. I ask how much and he says "$100." Great. I say I will take it. He says "wait a minute." and goes over behind his desk and pulls out a book, then comes back and says "that will be $150" I say "wait a minute. You just said $100 and I said I would take it. now you are RAISING the price??" He accused me of trying to take advantage of him (He was the dealer, it was his coin, and he quoted me the price and I was trying to take advantage of him????) Needless to say I left, buying nothing, and vowing never to return to that place again.

I did return.....several months later, figuring he would have forgotten me. I went in, looked around, and he asked if I had been in before because I looked familiar. Not knowing what to do, I related the events of my last visit to him. He looked at me for a moment, and then apologized for his actions. He related that he had been having a rough patch there for whatever reason. He then goes over and gets his checkbook and writes me a check for $50. I am somewhat dumbfounded. I refuse but he insists. I ask if he still has the off metal error. He says yes, then says "I will still sell it for $150, just add $100 to the check I just gave you and it's yours."

I took it home with me and still have it.

George

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Moral of the story... everyone deserves a second chance.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, how about a picture of it? I like off metals and haveseveral. image I recently purchased two double denominations and got them earlier this week. I love them.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, a coin store owner with a conscience! Thats tougher to find than the error! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a coin store owner with a conscience! Thats tougher to find than the error

That is my early nomination for the numismatic comment of the year. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Everyone is allowed a bad day, but I am happy that he made good on it with you. Nice error coin too!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Nice that it worked out.

I think it was a good deal, better if you can read enough of the date on it. If you can't it wasn't a bad deal either.

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file