Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you place heavy bids on coins auctioned with poor images...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
if there's a 7 day money back guarantee image

I was shocked to see this 30-S net $349.00 shipped on EBay based on the images.

imageimage

This 1919-S was another EBay shocker as $ 1,393.00 shipped, which again is strong money for a coin you can't really see.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a certain dealer that I keep tabs on as his scans hide jewels all the time.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always risk bidding sight-unseen, with the natural tendency to win the coins that look better in images than in person and to lose the coins that are terrific but do not image well.

I have never been comfortable putting a strong bid on a sight-unseen auction, no matter what the photos look like.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Buy the slab, not the coin! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good answers so far... except for llafoe! imageimage

I hate returning coins and also feel that since both are auction style listings it's not fair to the seller to sell it for a record price only to have to relist it. I've been thinking about this for a few days as I feel I've gotten spoiled with the technology advancements in this hobby. As I still remember mailing in my bids to Bowers and Merena pre fax days on unplated items with just a description. If you didn't have a set of eyes at the lot viewing, there was a good chance you might be getting set up on a bad blind date. Well poor digital images are just about as worthy as no images at all.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    If the pictures are not good, I simply pass on by. There are lots of coins out there, that I can buy without taking a chance on a poor picture.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1919S looks likea nice coin. If you go to their website, you can see the same coin with a bigger image. That is what I have done when I bought from them in the past.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1919S looks likea nice coin. If you go to their website, you can see the same coin with a bigger image. That is what I have done when I bought from them in the past. >>

The 1919-S did look nice but I wanted to see more upper obverse details.

It wasn't listed on their site and I did email them for larger images when the SLQ was posted.

I never got them and it's no biggie as I wasn't a player at almost $1400.

• << <i>I have a certain dealer that I keep tabs on as his scans hide jewels all the time. >>

Exactly! Sometimes I will send out a small trial order and see if the seller is any good (despite the images), and if he is good I will follow hime around.
  • No. If they can't take a decent photo, too many surprises. My scanner can do better than what I've seen sometimes. It can turn in to a gamble, literally. And I don't like to be disappointed.

• churn and burn volume sellers often leave lots of money on the table with out of focus small pics. I purposely look for sellers with out of focus listings and then wait! what am I saying!
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    I've gambled over $100 on worse pictures and raw, turned out to be pretty good a couple of times.
  • I typically pass on coins with poor photos. If I bid, the bid would likely be lower than for the same coin with good photos.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I haven't done it often, I've paid up some big prices on eBay coins with horrible photos in the past. But only if there is a full and clear return policy. Especially in the case where it is a Buy It Now auction, I don't see it as being much different than buying a coin from an online dealer on approval.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirley, Shirley, Shirley.....

A famous football coach is credited with saying "There's 3 things that can happen when you attempt a forward pass, and 2 of them are bad"

. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I gambled once on a 1814 bust half with one of those "Mars shots" I could barely make out the date in the photo. But I gambled because while I could not see details the patina on the coin looked great and it was being sold by a non-coin seller. This is what I received (I am the one that sent it in to PCGS though)
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up an 1867 gold dollar off ebay in a thirld world slab with bad pictures and now its in a pcgs slab with a cac sticker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file