Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 Peace Dollar (VAM-1H) - Struck from Satin Proof Dies

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's my most recent 1921 Peace Dollar Purchase for your viewing and diagnostic pleasure... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! One of the best strikes I've seen!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Nice strike.

May I also take a wild guess that it's in a holder
    from across the street. Yeah, psychic, I know.

~
    ~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I am not embarrassing myself,
    or offending you,
    but I guess 58.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    It looks like it could be a VAM 1 I ?
    Text
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC MS64. semi-prooflike. This looks like one of the early strikes that are usually found dark toned, cleaned or AU.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    nice coin, does the 2 have some strike doubling?
    figglehorn
  • Wow, that's an awesome 1921 image

-Mike
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << nice coin, does the 2 have some strike doubling? >>

ClosedLoop: In reply to your above quoted question, the most prominent doubling that I observe on this coin is illustrated below on the reverse in the word STATES. Although I'm not certain, it may be strike doubling... image

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much nicer than Weiss's DOG. image
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a VAM 1H?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what number is on that coin, it is way hammered & IMHO worth much more as such.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice strike.

64?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Okay, spill the beans... is this a 1921 overstrike of a 1964-D DCarr fantasy Peace dollar? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
    << Is that a VAM 1H? >>

TomB: In reply to your above quoted question, Yes you are quite correct that she is in fact a VAM-1H -- that's part of the story... image

Here are the VAM-1H diagnostic photos of this coin, matching those on VAM World's web site:
    imageimage

Stuart

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Much nicer than Weiss's DOG. image >>

Well yeah. But anything's better than mine. image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as others have stated, what a tremendous strike for that coin. I love it. Congratulations on your purchase.

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The die file lines and strong strike makes it a very appealing coin.

<< Beautiful! One of the best strikes I've seen! NGC MS64. semi-prooflike. This looks like one of the early strikes that are usually found dark toned, cleaned or AU. >>

EagleEye (Rick): Thanks for your above quoted post. You are very perceptive based upon interpreting digital images.

This 1921 Peace Dollar is possesses the strongest strike and highest luster of the 1921 Peace Dollars in my collection. It has what I'd characterize as "Glossy" luster in the fields, complemented by lightly contrasting frost on the devices. This coin is as close as I've got to a Semi-Prooflike Peace Dollar, with the "Glossy" luster being a bit more reflective than what I'd characterize as satiny luster.

After comparing it to my several other VAM-1H's, I feel that this may be an earlier die state and strike than my other coins. image

Stuart

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I'm not sure how you can keep up with so many different types of coins. I know you are also big into Morgans and bust halves. Keep them coming.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin image
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice strike!
  • BithrateBithrate Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Congrats on a beauty of a coin.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
    Thanks to all who posted their comments on this thread, and for your kind words about my new 1921 Peace Dollar. image

Stuart

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Each one you post gets nicer! Good eye!
    << Each one you post gets nicer! Good eye! >>

Roger: Thanks for your above quoted post. Your Peace Dollar Guide Book, and getting to know you on a personal basis via the PCGS Coin Forum, have stimulated my interest in Peace Dollars. Thanks very much for the helpful advice and guidance that you have provided. image

Stuart

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You're welcome!

Just enjoy the hobby of coin collecting.
  • Nice Stuart, I picked up one last year, they are addicting.......
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file