Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nice surprise from purchasing a coin on ebay...

I was discussing some newbie questions with a seller on ebay about one of his auctions and eventually I couldn't control myself and decided to bid on the coin; in the end I won the auction. When I opened up the package I received a nice letter stating welcome to coin collecting and notice an extra coin was placed in the package!

The ebayers name is dvdnewcome716. I just wanted everyone to know that he made my day with his kind act. I am not going to say what he gave me but it made me very happy!

Thanks for your time,

Jason

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great story, thank you for sharing it. Welcome to the forums and coin collecting. Read the forums often as they will help you in learning about coins.

Ebay is a fantastic place (if you know what you are buying) and over 99% of the transactions are wonderful.

We on the forums usually ONLY hear about the less then 1% of the transactions that go bad.

Thanks again.
  • I made a purchase today from a private minter connected with the Confederate Mining Company in South Carolina. He wrote that he'll be sending me an extra piece of something new they just came up with -- in fact the very first strike. I always enjoy such numismatic surprises and they seem to happen quite often.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I made a purchase today from a private minter connected with the Confederate Mining Company in South Carolina. He wrote that he'll be sending me an extra piece of something new they just came up with -- in fact the very first strike. I always enjoy such numismatic surprises and they seem to happen quite often. >>

I remember a purchase from you a while back where I got several extra little goodies, an' I really like them still.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason,
    Welcome! Great that this seller did this kind act! Hey, a lot of us here like Ebay alot!
    A lot here don't use it nor have any use for it (ignore them!). But we all have opinions
    so read them all with a grain of salt and don't get upset if it does not agree with your
    thinking!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Thanks for sharing that refreshing story, Jason. image
  • Love reading the good stories. Thanks for sharing!

Contacting sellers IMO is smart, find the ones that take the time to talk and build the relationships.

I'll never forget the first bonus coin I got. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People like that are a credit to eBay and deserve glowing feedback, to say the least. I've had a few transactions like that. I'm happy to say I've come across a few more of these rare "golden apples" than I have of the equally rare "really bad apples".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I had an Ebayer do that for me last month. Nice touch and it doesn't take a lot. Just the thought. Something I'm going to remember to do, I hope.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great story... we don't hear that type of thing enough around here.

Welcome to the boards!
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Boards . . .a great place to learn and appreciate the hobby!

Drunner
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Thanks for telling us this, and that you appreciate it.

I do this all the time. And it's so easy to do as a seller. How many of us have hundreds, thousands of coins sitting around...stuff we'll never grade or sell and doesn't mean that much to us? Why not toss in a little something extra? It doesn't even have to be that special.

A guy on the forum ATS made a silly post...said he was tired of looking at the hole in his Dansco for a bicentennial half. Asked, "anyone want to send me one"? For free, he meant. Wow...a rash of ugly posts followed. The nerve, asking for charity. Cripes, I sent him one. The coin and postage cost me a dollar. I'll make coffee tomorrow instead of buying it.
    Lance.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool. Thanks for telling us this, and that you appreciate it.

I do this all the time. And it's so easy to do as a seller. How many of us have hundreds, thousands of coins sitting around...stuff we'll never grade or sell and doesn't mean that much to us? Why not toss in a little something extra? It doesn't even have to be that special.

A guy on the forum ATS made a silly post...said he was tired of looking at the hole in his Dansco for a bicentennial half. Asked, "anyone want to send me one"? For free, he meant. Wow...a rash of ugly posts followed. The nerve, asking for charity. Cripes, I sent him one. The coin and postage cost me a dollar. I'll make coffee tomorrow instead of buying it.
    Lance. >>

Jeez, could someone please send me a 1795 half eagle to fill my dansco? image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the world isn't coming to an end after all. image

Good Post & Welcome to the Boards.

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been on the recieving end of more kindness than I can ever truly repay on this forum and elsewhere in the hobby. I really can't even put into words how gratefull I really am!!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • It is refreshing to know that there are a lot of people out their like myself that really care about this hobby and the ones that enjoy it. We all know that we all started off not knowing a lot about coins and their histories. In fact, I will be receiving a nice 2000 WAM in the mail from a kind collector just because he has some to spare and I needed a nice example for my collection. When I sell coins on ebay I like to add a little extra in there to help strengthen their interest in the hobby.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Lance , you know what? You are right.. I've got zillions of worthy freebies sitting around.

You and this thread inspired me to start including a little extra with every purchase.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Jeez, could someone please send me a 1795 half eagle to fill my dansco? image >>

Chris, I only have the heraldic, not the small half eagle. I'd send you that but I'm sure you want the small.
    Lance.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Jeez, could someone please send me a 1795 half eagle to fill my dansco? image >>

Chris, I only have the heraldic, not the small half eagle. I'd send you that but I'm sure you want the small.
    Lance. >>

I might be able to live with that one too image
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Thanks for sharing this story! (we already have 2 or 3 similar stories today, that means that there are nice people out there!)

I am not a dealer but I sell every once in a while on eBay or BST, usually when I need some cash.
    I always add a little bonus (I choose something that is new or not common) to all of my sale, it costs me 1c or $2 depending on the amount of the sale but it makes me feel better.

A friend once told me: "It's more blessed to give than receive, so I owe you still"
    He barely knew me back then but he sent me a couple of expensive silver bars for my wedding.

Forgot to add: image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file