Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOLY DOILIES!

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting price $110!
    I guess my PR64 Jeff in a doily ought to be worth more than a C-note now! image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Yeah, talk about buying the coin and not the holder. image

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Did our own Drunner buy that one??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Interesting, I didn't think they were worth that much. In fact, I thought I was pushing the limits on this one when I bid $66 image

Ben
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you think I feel...I had 4 classic commems in doilies:

California, Rhode Island, Vermont, and a Roanoke.

Cheers,

Bob
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gents . . .

I PMd a few fellow Doily-hunters on the Board yesterday but didn't do a general post on this for fear of Doily-saturation (or Doily boredom), but a few thoughts . .

No, I didn't get it. I was the underbidder at $120. Starting bid was $110 and no one approached it for 6 days. I thought that would make it easily as samples seem to be a bit more available than the regular Doily. I debated as I have 4 other Samples and wasn't sure if I wanted to cough up the $110 skins, but in the end, my avarice and greed got to me and I threw up the bid . . .AND LOST IT!! HA! Smart aleck that I am . . I got schooled!

My other Samples prior to this were (all Roosies):

1958-D MS64 $45 (eBay)
    1964-D MS64 $110 (eBay)
    1964-D MS64 $110 (eBay)
    1964-D MS64 $119 (eBay)

The 1964's were all from the same guy . . . milking them out one by one hoping to score, but I was able to get them for the prices listed. This last one was from a new seller . . . and he had obviously researched what (I) had been paying in the past, and started his bid accordingly. Yup, I was surprised when it went for the $122.50 . . . meaning the bid was probably higher still!

Well . . . that is it. I am home now licking my wounds, but the Samples seem to be dripping out here and there. I think I have enough at the $110 level, so I'll hold out for a nice 20-center or 2-cent piece!!

Have fun on the Doily Hunt!!! I am!!!

(Oh, and I owe many of my better Doily acquisitions to the Board members here. I will remember you all in my will.)

Drunner
    and a short "ps" . .

Two things . . . .

I have a penchant for forthrightness, so I am always more than willing to be upfront about the Doily info. I send it to those who PM all the time and am more than happy to do so. That is the nature of the Boards and many have shared immense knowledge with me. It is the very least I can do.

and second . .

I was serious . . . many of my best Doilies have come from connections on the Board in some way. You know who you are. I owe one heck of a lot of lunches out there.

Thanks . . .

Drunner
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    That's hilarious! I remember cracking coins out of NGC black holders and the doily ones because I thought they were distracting looking and unattractive. Back then, I guess I never thought coin collecting would morph into plastic holder collecting too.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it.
    A good point Dragon . . .

I regard myself as the charitable soul of the Boards, ridding the environment of common coins in ugly holders and 'taking one for the team', so to speak. David Hall felt the same, the Doily was an ugly holder and thus it had a very short run. If the President of PCGS echoed the same sentiment, you cannot be far from the truth.

But I stand unwavering. Some of us stand at the battlements ready to defend against all odds. I feel that I must be ready to do what I can to rid the numismatic frontier of the ugly, the old, and the irrelevant (that would include the NGC Black, NGC 2.1/2.0 too) so that others may have a clear path to numismatic enjoyment of the 'coin' and not the 'holder'. I know that the direction I have chosen will relegate me to numismatic oblivion, but I will go there knowing I did my best to help others and rid the coin world of the filth and sordid nature that exists in the old holders. No, please . . . I stand ready to refuse all personal honors or recognitions of my sacrifice for all others here on the Boards. My motives are true . . . I steadfastly remain in your service to sequester all remaining Doilies so that the numismatic world may be rid of their ugly past . . .

FOREVER !!!!

Drunner
    (ok, perhaps I was a bit over the top, but it's Friday, and I have a fine Single Malt here while I type)
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't get it. >>

Some people hoard bicentennial quarters. Some hoard certain dates of Morgans. The doily is a unique and easily distinguishable holder/insert combo that was produced in limited quantity and whose supply has decreased due to breakage and other factors. It provides a nice little niche for the collector who wants a little diversion.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A good point Dragon . . .

I regard myself as the charitable soul of the Boards, ridding the environment of common coins in ugly holders and 'taking one for the team', so to speak. David Hall felt the same, the Doily was an ugly holder and thus it had a very short run. If the President of PCGS echoed the same sentiment, you cannot be far from the truth.

But I stand unwavering. Some of us stand at the battlements ready to defend against all odds. I feel that I must be ready to do what I can to rid the numismatic frontier of the ugly, the old, and the irrelevant (that would include the NGC Black, NGC 2.1/2.0 too) so that others may have a clear path to numismatic enjoyment of the 'coin' and not the 'holder'. I know that the direction I have chosen will relegate me to numismatic oblivion, but I will go there knowing I did my best to help others and rid the coin world of the filth and sordid nature that exists in the old holders. No, please . . . I stand ready to refuse all personal honors or recognitions of my sacrifice for all others here on the Boards. My motives are true . . . I steadfastly remain in your service to sequester all remaining Doilies so that the numismatic world may be rid of their ugly past . . .

FOREVER !!!!

Drunner
    (ok, perhaps I was a bit over the top, but it's Friday, and I have a fine Single Malt here while I type) >>

Give us this day our doily fix,
    and forgive us our brainfarts,
    as we outbid those who bid against us,
    and lead us never from temptation,
    theknowitalltroll;
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really need a doily DMPL.....

curse you sweetwillet!!!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Now Im feeling pretty good about paying that $155 for that doily last week . And I got a Walker in mine tooimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A good point Dragon . . .

FOREVER !!!!

Drunner
    (ok, perhaps I was a bit over the top, but it's Friday, and I have a fine Single Malt here while I type) >>

I actually laughed out-loud...very funny!!! and well written...are you an English teacher???
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I guess I got pretty lucky with this one a year or two ago. Didn't really pay any premium for the holder:
    Simon . . . yes, I thought you were already aware! Hope to see you on the 28th.

Jerry . . . yes also. When the burden of possession just gets too great, I will be there for you. I hate to see someone suffer unnecessarily.

Drunner

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to dig this post up because I've ran across a pcgs doily half dollar Texas commemorative 1936-d ms-65 for $395.00 at the local B&M. With the price of these doily slabs so HIGH, would this be a good deal? I know the price for any other would be around $200.00....This guy's prices never even in the ballpark anywaysimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file