Home U.S. Coin Forum

'21 Peace. Guess the grade redux

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
Taking to heart what ya'll said yesterday I re-shot her. So...on a good day, with the stars aligned, might I *possibly* be able to pass this dog of a 62 off for a 64, or...fingers and toes crossed, a 64+? image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Does NGC have a grade guarantee? If they do you would be sure to get it. Looks 63 to me.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does NGC have a grade guarantee? If they do you would be sure to get it. Looks 63 to me.

Tom >>

I'll check. Is it the hammered strike, the flawless fields and cheek, or the original surface that says "63" to you?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • I think people were being too hard on that coin. That is a great example and no way less than a 64 IMO and I am not shocked to see it in a 65. Its a 64 technically and the strike could easily carry it to 64+. I think the light toning is creating a little "marbled" look to the surfaces and people are mistaking it for chatter?
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practically no one can grade 1921 Peace dollars.

When I looked at the thread yesterday I studied the obverse and was deciding between 64 and 65. When I saw the reverse which has some uneven tone, I went with 64....but it IS a nicer coin than a 63 all day long, and pretty too.

I'm not a stanger to 1921 Peace dollars and almost always, folks undergrade them and don't understand the strike.
    Thanks, guys. Chalk it up to bad photography skills. But the more I study her the more I love her image
    --Severian the Lame
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    That high level of hair detail is unique to me. I'd say at least a 64+
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Weiss go to heritage and study a bunch of the 64/65 1921 Peace dollars in the archives-I think you"ll find that yours is a very nice example as you stated -with a great strike and a clean portrait of Liberty-I like yours and can't see how anyone thinks its a 62/63

<< <i>Weiss go to heritage and study a bunch of the 64/65 1921 Peace dollars in the archives-I think you"ll find that yours is a very nice example as you stated -with a great strike and a clean portrait of Liberty-I like yours and can't see how anyone thinks its a 62/63 >>

I've been all over 'em (admittedly to see what recentl sales were bringing vs. what I paid image )

There are stainless-steel & chrome examples that scream 65. "Performance enhanced" isn't the right term, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file