Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very Cool Short Set of Reeding Errors on 2000 Dimes

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a very cool short set of (3) 2000 Dimes with Reeding Errors which also belong in my larger Y2K Error Type set. I bought all of these coins at auction from Fred W. One of these coins, I paid way, way too much for as I put in a nuclear bid that went nuclear. I am not angry about overpaying for the coin, In fact if I had bid lower, I would have missed the coin and thus not have the complete set. So I don't mind overpaying every once in a while for a unique item. Thanks again Fred for offering such cool error coins.

Coin 1 has three errors, Double Struck, Broadstruck, and Attached Reeding .....

Coin 2 has three errors, Double Struck, Broadstruck, and Struck Thru Reeding ........

Coin 3 has three errors, Huge Broadstruck, Struck Thru Reeding, and Struck In Copper (from reeding)

Comments

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are uber cool...I don't think I've ever seen one so dramatic as the one in the first image. It's amazing the broken off reeding is still attached to the host?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those a pretty cool. I really like the frist. I would be pretty tempted to get all of them graded throught the error service. You might be able to be PCGS to use a prong holder like they have done with the edge letter dollars... if they make one small enough for a dime.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another dime with a reeding error PLUS struck by capped die, altho not dated 2000, I still like the unique double error on this one ....

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooooo coooool. How and where do people find these? Mint employees?

50 plus years of collecting and searching and I've never found but one blank cent.
    Never a broadstruck, or other such fantasies!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    leave it to Fred W to find some of the most outragious and fun errors

enter me in your drawing image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    As explained in the January 10th, 2011 Collector's Clearinghouse (Coin World), many of these purported broadstruck/double-struck dimes are "forced broadstrikes" that received only a single strike. A beveled edge with smeared reeding is produced as the expanding coin contacts and forces down a stiff but still movable collar. In order to diagnose a double strike, you need additional evidence, such as a clearly separated set of peripheral deign elements.

-- Mike Diamond
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>leave it to Fred W to find some of the most outragious and fun errors

enter me in your drawing image >>

I don't think Fred finds these himself, But I am sure he has some very excellent contacts who do. Most likely these were caught in a counting room and found their way to Fred. I sure wish I had some of his contacts image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file