Home U.S. Coin Forum

I think i am addicted to 58 D franklins and need to seek some help :(

Every time i go into a coin store and look at double mint sets its like i go into a trance. Soon as i lift that green paper under a light looking at those ruby reds, emerald greens, and awesome magenta's I must quickly hand over my cash to have those 58 D's image. Here are 2 more i picked up today from a sweet mint set. I ran out of cash but they had another one just as nice so i told them to hold it for me till tomorrow so that one will also be mine to image. I am totally addicted to these things! How many 58 D's franklins does one need?!

Comments

• They look like nice examples and I don't think you can have to many Mint set toned 1958-D's personally image
  • Where exactly IS this store?image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Very Pretty !

Do they count if they don't have a "D" on them?

• djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>Where exactly IS this store?image >>

I am NOT telling lol.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

No kidding! I haven't seen an original mint set around town here for a couple years.
    I bought the last set I found... 1957.

<< <i>Very Pretty !

Do they count if they don't have a "D" on them?

image >>

Oh im addicted to the P mints as well image. This set had nice P mint coins but the set im picking up tomorrow, lets just say they blow away this sets P mint coins!

<< <i>

No kidding! I haven't seen an original mint set around town here for a couple years.
    image >>

Oh my that 57D frankie is sweet! They had a 57 set but it didnt do much for me color wise so i didnt even bother throwing an offer at it. Ive dealt with this dealer for the past 4-5 years and built a really good relationship with them. Now i dont have to pop in and see if they got anything. They just call me when they get double mint sets in and i go down look them over and they take all my money lol.

• << <i>

image >>

I would not mine seeing the obverse of those Lincolns!
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I've probably had as many as 30 to 40 1958 franklins at a time. They do deliver in terms of colorful attractive toning. Sold most of my 66 level, with a few left over.
    I have often considered just buying every nice one I see. Only deterrent is that I do still have a good balance of investor/collector in my bones, and I just don't think they will ever rise to
    serious levels. But, it pays to have a few, just in case I'm wrong! image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a very good year. 48 states, Ike and meimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My apologies to the OP - this one's only a "P".image

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have Toneitis.

no known cure.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it's not crack!
  • I love 58-Ds image

Man, what a hideous coin! Poor thing. Send it to me for proper dispensation......right into my slab box.

Nice coin.

<< <i>I love 58-Ds image

image >>

• << <i>Man, what a hideous coin! Poor thing. Send it to me for proper dispensation......right into my slab box.

Nice coin.

<< <i>I love 58-Ds image

image >>

>>

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .........early on when I began collecting Mint Set Franklins , it got to the point I refused to buy another single solitary 58-D .........

I was buying colorful coins and the most abundant seemed to be the 58-D , and after filling a whole PCGS box with that date - I said uncle - no more !

.........20 years ago I was buying PCGS MS 66's from J. Wooten @ 200$ a pop ( pre FBL era )............ he thought it was smart to load up on them if they ever fell below the 200$ level .

well, I still got a 1/2 dozen from him that I might be able to sell for 100$ ea. - on a good day .......

The 58-D is a great date , for neat colors ..........but it's just too dirt common to ever be a date that's value is ever going to sky rocket
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.........early on when I began collecting Mint Set Franklins , it got to the point I refused to buy another single solitary 58-D .........

..........The 58-D is a great date , for neat colors ..........but it's just too dirt common to ever be a date that's value is ever going to sky rocket >>

PP,
    Do you feel the same can be said for 57-D's. They do seem to come with awesome color but am I mistaken in believing only with half or less regularity? Estimate?

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Where exactly IS this store? LOL

Hmmm ... there are some nice looking coins in this thread image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

<< <i>.........early on when I began collecting Mint Set Franklins , it got to the point I refused to buy another single solitary 58-D .........

I was buying colorful coins and the most abundant seemed to be the 58-D , and after filling a whole PCGS box with that date - I said uncle - no more !

.........20 years ago I was buying PCGS MS 66's from J. Wooten @ 200$ a pop ( pre FBL era )............ he thought it was smart to load up on them if they ever fell below the 200$ level .

well, I still got a 1/2 dozen from him that I might be able to sell for 100$ ea. - on a good day .......

The 58-D is a great date , for neat colors ..........but it's just too dirt common to ever be a date that's value is ever going to sky rocket >>

Ah, the days when Wooten was selling! PP, I remember your old collection;It was amazing. I also remember battling it out at Auctions, you and Ronyahski.
    I was so sad when I heard you were selling....mainly cause I missed out on being able to pick any upimage
    Nah, sucks when we have to sell. I remember one coin you had, not sure of the date, but it was as much a monster as any toned Franklin I have ever seen.
    I want to say 49S 66 or 67fbl.

<< <i>

..........The 58-D is a great date , for neat colors ..........but it's just too dirt common to ever be a date that's value is ever going to sky rocket >>

PP,
    Do you feel the same can be said for 57-D's. They do seem to come with awesome color but am I mistaken in believing only with half or less regularity? Estimate? >>

57 D's that have killer toning like the 58 D's always sell for more. I think they are a good date to stash away with color like that. They are not as common with that type of color and your assumption of half or less sounds pretty spot on to me.
  • The 57-D is a bird of a different feather , although they too exist with some of the finest coloration you would ever find on a Franklin .....

they are not nearly as plentiful as the 58-D's .

I would say for every 4 1958-D's - there would be one 1957-D ............

or a pop. that is 25% that of the more common '58-D

.......I'm talking about top notch color pieces
  • I want to say 49S 66 or 67fbl.

...that was the piece that was supposed to be in Tomaska's new book ;

The PCGS MS66 FBL that I bought from him for 4500$ and he bought back for 6000$ ..........

.there are no words in the human language that adequately and properly describe the beauty and quality of that very unique coin
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>

PP,
    Do you feel the same can be said for 57-D's. They do seem to come with awesome color but am I mistaken in believing only with half or less regularity? Estimate? >>

Hey PawPaul-'57Ps have killer toning in my opinion.I have a few but don't know how to load into this forum.image
    The P mint franklins can come real nice as well. I also consider myself addicted to those image

• Yes !

The 1957-P Franklin is another date that can come with stunning colors .......... there are many, many 1957-P's that will knock my socks off ,

but they are an entirely different animal then the 1957-D's
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addicted... to coins with a '58 on them? My how barbaric. I'll put you out of your misery and buy any '58 P or D's off of you that pass my quality control check.

To give an idea of how common '58-D's with nice toning can be, Tomaska had 2 of them in the toned Franklin section at the back of his new book. Surprisingly enough the only other date/mm's with more than 1 coin imaged in that section were, '51-D, '52, '53, '53-D and '58, all of which had two examples each... each of which (except for the '58 and maybe the '52 ) IMO are tough date/mm's to find with decent toning.

EDITED FOR COUNTING ERROR.

• Franklin's don't do much for me....But I could see purchasing a nice 63 with similar toning someday as it's my birth year!
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a 12-step program for Frankies, but most participants are concerned with their FBL problem. Your particular issue (not 58-D, but the tarnish fetish) seems to indicate you might be open to a RickO intervention.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Very simple way to cure your problem.

Keep one 1958-D.
    Then, send the duplicates to me.

Problem solved. image

P.S. Post pictures of your 58-D's. I want to see what I will be getting in the mail shortly. image

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file