Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think that this Unprofessional, Funny, both, or neither?

As you can tell, when I am not engrossed in Half Cent projects, I love discussing coin show scenarios.

When I used to set up at coin shows (I don't anymore because I do not have the patience), I had a nice, problem free "EAC" Fine-12 1800 Half Cent. When I did shows, I always allowed myself about 10-15% of wiggle room so I could play the "negotiating" game. However, one thing I despise (even to this day) is haggling.

I think I brought this up in the body of another thread, but I wanted to make this topic separate for opinions and thoughts:

I had a customer look at the coin, and the price was marked $175.00. My bottom line price was $150.00, and it's a coin I could have sold 10 of if I had that many. He makes an offer of $100.00. I told him that his offer was unacceptable and gave him my price of $155.00. He then proceeds to add a whopping $5.00 to his offer. I told him that it was anywhere close to an acceptable offer and he left.

FOUR TIMES he comes back to me and increases his offer, eventually to $150.00. I had a friend who was looking at the coin who I knew would buy it. I quoted him $145.00 and he bought it. Not surprisingly, the other guy went ballistic and wondered why I would sell the coin to the other guy for $5.00 less - to which my reply was put simply "that's an agita-free customer discount!"

He still could not understand it. The people around me (who knew me VERY well) were laughing so hard that they almost peed their pants. I know business is business, but it was worth it for me to get $5.00 less and sell the coin to someone I liked, and did not aggravate me.

Your thoughts,

Greg

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that kind of justice image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    If he would have brought his son for the dealer to abuse like he did in the other thread he would have gotten the better offer.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with what you did. Each buyer has a different set of motivations. Some love to negotiate to the point where the coin seems almost secondary to the actual negotiation and successful outcome. The game is bigger to them and their reward of success is different.

The norm in most countries is to "haggle" and it's an insult if negotiation isn't done.

Trying to figure out what motivates each potential customer is part of the sales challenge and can be fun.

And on the other hand, sometimes I am just not in the mood either so what you did isn't lost on me at all. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good to meimage

Maybe next time he will be more realistic with his starting offer.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Such situations are common when dealing with the great unwashed.

As a professional who deals with the public, you have to expect things like that. I don't have an issue with your saying your bottom line price is $155, and the guy comes back four times and asks. That is part of doing business on the bourse.

If the first buyer and the second buyer were standing there at the same time, personally, I would have quoted the second buyer the same $155. I don't know what was gained by [perhaps unintentionally] insulting the first buyer, although one should not worry how the bourse slithering, unwashed hoi polloi feel or think.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    so you do not like haggling but it is alright to play games with a customer?
    meaning.. why bother tell him what it sold for? just to upset him?

anyway...
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa....
    I swear I had that EXACT buyer hassle me for a coin back about 1995. Out of thousands of sales over 20+ years, I still remember this guy.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree.
    Nothing worse than "hammering" when you're just trying to do a simple deal.....
  • Sounds fine to me. Maybe next time he won't play those games but I doubt it. I run across people like that in my business. I can explain it until I am blue in the face and do similar things to what you did but they never change.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Although he didn't admit it, he learned something.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    the OP never seems to have mentioned to this customer what his best price
    was and basically just haggles with the customer...

would it be so hard to say the lowest i will go.. is 155, end of story? come back if you
    like that price. but it seems that was never said inviting the process of haggling
    to continue. After all, the OP did drop it from 175 to 155... the customer might
    have thought there was room for a bit more discussion.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I quote a job, I decide how much hand-holding I want to build into the price before I quote it. If the customer has revealed himself to be a known problem child, I quote a much higher price. If he buys the job and requires a bunch of hand-holding, it is provided in abundance and we are both happy. If I am wrong and he doesn't require a bunch of hand-holding, then I've made a bigger profit and he gets a better price next time. If he doesn't buy the job from me, then neither of us has lost anything besides the conversation time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the buyer lost the opportunity to be treated respectfully when he gave you the lowball offer. After that, you had license to mess with him in any way that you wanted, up to and including giving away the coin or destroying it right before his eyes.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that the buyer lost the opportunity to be treated respectfully when he gave you the lowball offer. After that, you had license to mess with him in any way that you wanted, up to and including giving away the coin or destroying it right before his eyes. >>

I agree. The guy was a jerk, and I love what you did!
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the OP never seems to have mentioned to this customer what his best price
    was and basically just haggles with the customer...

would it be so hard to say the lowest i will go.. is 155, end of story? come back if you
    like that price. but it seems that was never said inviting the process of haggling
    to continue. After all, the OP did drop it from 175 to 155... the customer might
    have thought there was room for a bit more discussion. >>

Agree. I guess it's more fun playing games with a customer that quoting a firm bottom line price.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Such situations are common when dealing with the great unwashed. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • His initial offer was called "frivolous" in my book . When someone does that to me I counter with a price $1 lower than my original asking price or I raise the asking price, depending on my mood at that moment.
    In other words I counter frivolous with frivolous.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
    There's a lot of jerk's out there. Years ago a guy came into the shop with an SVDB in VG with a minor planchet problem. Nothing terrible, but there. I didn't particularly want the coin.

He starts out by saying that "(A name I know) out in (suburb) says he'll give me (let's say $750) for this. Can I get $800 fot it?"

I look at the coin and the sheets and say "Go ahead and sell it to him. I wouldn't pay any more than $750 for it."

He says "How about $775?"
    I say "No."
    I say "No."
    I say "No."
    I say "No, and I withdraw the offer of $750."
    He says "OK, I'll take the $750."
    I say "That offer was withdrawn."

He starts yelling about me renegging on the offer. I point out to him that in law when one person makes an offer and the other person makes a counteroffer, the person who made the original offer has the legal right to withdraw it. He keeps on complaining until he leaves.

Later the first dealer, who is a friend, calls to say that the guy came back in with the coin yelling and screaming about how I had treated him. The guy in the suburbs told him he no longer wanted the coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you!!

Some collectors are so cheap it boggles my mind.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • This whole thread makes me less upset that I am no longer able to go to bourses or shops. The games just get to be silly on both sides. Thank God for the internet!
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    funny!

another negoitiating lesson learned.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk

• << <i>Such situations are common when dealing with the great unwashed.

As a professional who deals with the public, you have to expect things like that. I don't have an issue with your saying your bottom line price is $155, and the guy comes back four times and asks. That is part of doing business on the bourse.

If the first buyer and the second buyer were standing there at the same time, personally, I would have quoted the second buyer the same $155. I don't know what was gained by [perhaps unintentionally] insulting the first buyer, although one should not worry how the bourse slithering, unwashed hoi polloi feel or think. >>

+1
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We reserve the right to refuse to do business with anyone", so long as it is not due to race, creed, color or religion. Other preferences may be optional image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have raised the price by $5 each time he came back.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Gotta love that story.

I sometimes tell a customer that the price
    is contingent on the customer's attitude.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    People tend to never learn and all you can do is punish them for not being nice and respectful. If someone is disrespectful, stuck up or obnoxious, they will invariably not get my best price. Someone came up to my table at fun and in response to my, "Hi, what can I show you" he responded, "how far under bid are you selling your Morgans". I don't know about anyone else but he could have been standing there with a stack of hundreds and he was only getting a token discount.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying! I did not expect that many so soon, and I am glad you found it to be funny.

Just one comment: The initial dialogue went something like this:

CUSTOMER: I'll give you $100 CASH!!
    ME: The price TO YOU is $155.00 (I have myself just $5.00 of slight, wiggle room).
    CUSTOMER: (offers me $5 more, you know the rest)

Take care,

Greg
  • JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    If a price is in question about anything (want ads etc.) I always ask "what is the least you'd take for it?" Then I know where the seller stands, if they say $150 firm then that's it. But if they return with make me an offer, they're asking me to name a price which I am somewhat reluctant to do on occasion. But here are screwballs on both sides, something I hate is a loud mouth person (redneck type) that demands to hav ehis way or else.
    oklahomakid
  • This reminds me of the days when I did trial work. I was representing a Plaintiff in a case, and we were called in for trial. The Defendant's lawyer offered me a settlement of $3,500, which I rejected. He commented that for each day we had to wait for a judge the offer would be reduced by $500. I said "fine".
    Well on the third day the offer was $2,000, which I once again rejected. When we were told to come back a fourth day he blurted "4,500, take it or LEAVE IT (he was shouting).

So I took itimage
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • It was infact your coin. No rules about who you have to sell to. You do reserve the right. Bad buisness though and the guy may never return, but he was a pest and it probably did save you any future headachs. I wish i could have had a good laugh over that, but i guess i would had to of been there.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Agree with you 100%.

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Selling the coin to someone else for $145 was your right, of course.

But I would not have told the first guy that. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to inform him that you actually were more negotiable than you claimed, and to tick him off. And while you may not care that you ticked him off, any customer who feels wronged may tell dozens of others that you were unfair, etc. (even if it's not true) and thus cost you future business.

• I have never been a coin dealer, although I have bought and sold many coins over the decades, so I am sure I do not appreciate the frustrations of the day-to-day. Having said that, I have a lot of experience with bourse and shop dealers (when I could still get around). Some of them have been real characters, to say the least.

Some adopt an initial stance of intimidation. Some provide extreme low-ball offers on anything offered to them. Some act as if customers are an interruption. Etc. Many are decent and helpful folks.

As in any field, the most successful dealers are those who use principles of good salemanship and good customer management. Honestly, can anyone imagine a representative of Stacks, Spinks, Heritage, etc. treating an (annoying) potential customer the way OP treated his? Clearly not. Such behavior would not have been tolerated by the representative's management. The challenge is to convert the annoying potential customer into the good actual customer. Anything else is just amatuerish.

Retail coin dealing must be a great business - you get to insult your potential customers and pick and choose to whom you will sell. Wow.
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Selling the coin to someone else for $145 was your right, of course.

But I would not have told the first guy that. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to inform him that you actually were more negotiable than you claimed, and to tick him off. And while you may not care that you ticked him off, any customer who feels wronged may tell dozens of others that you were unfair, etc. (even if it's not true) and thus cost you future business. >>

Spoken like a true businessman. Anything else is to satisfy an emotion.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Years ago in Mexico we were street shopping and were told bargining was expected and we'd always get whatever was offered at a lower price. My wife spots a must have alleged hand woven tablecloth and we asked: How Much? The guy says $50.00, being the haggler that I am I said No, that's way to much and offered $30.00.....I ended up chasing the guy down the street and eventually ended up paying $75.00image

I am however awed at the ability of my associate to mess with other lawyers. He never makes demands, and always gets the other side to make an offer, to which he always says it's too low...I had the pleasure of following various speaker phone exchanges over a 6 month period...Their first offer was 100K, Rejected, Lawyer then says what are you thinking,... 200K? Guy then says: No way you're gonna get 200K...Guy calls back a couple months later, Says John, Good news, I got authority for the 200K...Rejected...It repeated and was finally accepted at 725K...At court during a final settlement conference, the client instructed him to accept when their offer got to 625K...He went in and came back out and said now it's at $725K...This client actually got very mad.
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>Selling the coin to someone else for $145 was your right, of course.

But I would not have told the first guy that. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to inform him that you actually were more negotiable than you claimed, and to tick him off. And while you may not care that you ticked him off, any customer who feels wronged may tell dozens of others that you were unfair, etc. (even if it's not true) and thus cost you future business. >>

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But I would not have told the first guy that. >>

I was just about to say the same thing. I agree that the "haggler" was annoying (almost insulting) and I agree you had every right to sell the coin to whomever you wish for how little you wish. But it appears that telling the "haggler" what you did was only to make yourself feel better at his expense.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

reminds me of an incident where I was standing in a coin shop (1970 or 71), customer watches dealer pay 1.90 each for 20 Morgan silver dollars. Customer looks through the 20 silver dollars and picks one, asks dealer for the price and the dealer says $2.25, customer replies I'll give you 1.75, dealer says you just saw me pay 1.90 each, 2.25 is the bottom line customer then offers 1.95. Dealer grabs the dollar out of the customer's hand, looks at me and says would you like this silver dollar and I say yes, but I don't have that much money, he tosses the silver dollar to me, "it's yours for free". customer then offers me 2.00 and I tell him it's not for sale. The dealer then promptly tells the customer to get the he)) out of his store and don't come back.

I asked the dealer if he wanted his silver dollar back, he just laughs and says no it was money well spent if that idiot never comes back. I was 12 at the time and it felt like I hit the lottery. Still have that 1879-S Morgan dollar would probably grade a MS64 to MS66.

some customers deserve the abuse they get.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If the "customer" was smart enough he could use that incident as education.

From a dealer's standpoint the situation was handled appropriately although you won't be winning customer service accolades. As for haggling, it's the custom in many other cultures and I appreciate a good haggling duel, but even then there is an unwritten protocol that should be followed.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    The best story about haggling I heard was when my father-in-law was at a leather shop in Mexico. He haggled with the shop owner over a hat that he wanted to pay $150, the shop owner (obviously to feel that he would be the winner in the haggle) wouldn't budge from $151. Eventually the shop owner went to my mother-in-law and asked her for $1. "For what?" she said and the owner told her about the haggling. She gave him the $1, and now my father-in-law has his $150 hat that his wife "bought" for a dollar (as she tells the story).
    Paul

<< <i>........but even then there is an unwritten protocol that should be followed. >>

Serious question---what is this protocol for haggling?

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But I would not have told the first guy that. >>

I was just about to say the same thing. I agree that the "haggler" was annoying (almost insulting) and I agree you had every right to sell the coin to whomever you wish for how little you wish. But it appears that telling the "haggler" what you did was only to make yourself feel better at his expense. >>

I think you hit the nail on the head! Insulting, bad behaviour, inconsiderate, loud, discourteous-all of which are completely unnecessary-you get more flies with honey than vinegar! If someone comes on with the hard sell or insists on getting something and is insulting about it, they receive the minimum from me. I only do what I have to but on the other hand if someone is pleasant, I'll go out of my way to accomodate them.
    oklahomakid

<< <i>image

reminds me of an incident where I was standing in a coin shop (1970 or 71), customer watches dealer pay 1.90 each for 20 Morgan silver dollars. Customer looks through the 20 silver dollars and picks one, asks dealer for the price and the dealer says $2.25, customer replies I'll give you 1.75, dealer says you just saw me pay 1.90 each, 2.25 is the bottom line customer then offers 1.95. Dealer grabs the dollar out of the customer's hand, looks at me and says would you like this silver dollar and I say yes, but I don't have that much money, he tosses the silver dollar to me, "it's yours for free". customer then offers me 2.00 and I tell him it's not for sale. The dealer then promptly tells the customer to get the he)) out of his store and don't come back.

I asked the dealer if he wanted his silver dollar back, he just laughs and says no it was money well spent if that idiot never comes back. I was 12 at the time and it felt like I hit the lottery. Still have that 1879-S Morgan dollar would probably grade a MS64 to MS66.

some customers deserve the abuse they get. >>

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once at a show I had a guy ask me "What is the lowest price you would take for this?" I named a number, and he immediately counteroffered lower.

I said: "You asked me what is the lowest price I would take for this. Are you calling me a liar?" put the coin back in the case and walked away.

TD
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>........but even then there is an unwritten protocol that should be followed. >>

Serious question---what is this protocol for haggling? >>

Take a trip to Hong Kong, Turkey or anywhere that isn't North America, Japan or Western Europe. Watch others do it and learn from them.

In a nutshell, start with a low offer then work your way up. You can always raise your offer but you can't decrease it. Establish potential method of payment before making an offer. Don't make a buy offer unless you're willing to actually buy that item. If your offer is accepted then you need to honor it. Most importantly, it's all a game so don't take things personally. Don't get angry, upset or physical and refrain from personal attacks. Simple enough isn't it?

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>

<< <i>

Take a trip to Hong Kong, Turkey or anywhere that isn't North America, Japan or Western Europe. Watch others do it and learn from them.

In a nutshell, start with a low offer then work your way up. You can always raise your offer but you can't decrease it. Establish potential method of payment before making an offer. Don't make a buy offer unless you're willing to actually buy that item. If your offer is accepted then you need to honor it. Most importantly, it's all a game so don't take things personally. Don't get angry, upset or physical and refrain from personal attacks. Simple enough isn't it? >>

Thanks. Makes sense. The same rules should apply to buying from a coin dealer here. Since I don't like to haggle, I usually just ask the dealer for his best price and then either play or pass.

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

In a nutshell, start with a low offer then work your way up. You can always raise your offer but you can't decrease it. Establish potential method of payment before making an offer. Don't make a buy offer unless you're willing to actually buy that item. If your offer is accepted then you need to honor it. Most importantly, it's all a game so don't take things personally. Don't get angry, upset or physical and refrain from personal attacks. Simple enough isn't it? >>

Longacre has negotiated prices in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, and various Markets around Beijing. Each has its high points and low points. It gets a little frustrating when it took me about 30 minutes to buy a chess set in China that cost me about $10.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks. Makes sense. The same rules should apply to buying from a coin dealer here. Since I don't like to haggle, I usually just ask the dealer for his best price and then either play or pass. >>

Nothing wrong with that!
    TD
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    As I mentioned, this happened many years ago. Even though I detest constant back-and-forth haggling, I would take it in stride and even be entertained with it if it happened today. I should have handled the situation a bit differently - BUT NOT THAT MUCH!

FWIW, I tried the "best price" thing, and what I have found out is that it paints you in a corner if it is used as a blanket. On items that are bullion-related or desirable coins (like the one I described), it was my mistake by just not quoting the guy $150.00 and saying that was my best price. What I have found that on "ka-ka" you have to be more flexible. If someone is at my table wanting to buy all of my modern, clad proof singles - the ball game changes a bit.

Ticking the guy off was totally intentional, and even to this day I could care less if he told 1,000 people. That's because if I have the right coins at the right price for them, they could care less.

This discussion has been closed.