Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you grade this 1921 quarter.

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
Just curious if your thoughts are similar to mine.

Comments

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very good-8 to a fine 12....Just my opinion...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    VG-8
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will grade this AG3-G04 because of the date. They are really tough on these.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    vg10
  • VG-8
    Those who are collecting SILVER... will be wealthy shortly!!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG10
    When in doubt, don't.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AG3. The appearance of the date is critical.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>VG10 >>

image VG-10
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    VG-8. And for those saying AG3 take a look here.

PCGS and NGC are pretty consistent on these with minimal date detail.

HA 1921 25c Auction Archive PCGS VG8

The difference between VG8 and AG3 though is pretty subtle. Take a look at some of the other archives for the PCGS AG3 and see what you all think.

I guess the distinction for a G6, G4 and AG3 to a VG8 is super subtle....
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut was VG10/F12... glad to see I'm not so alone
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sticking with AG3. If the date isn't there it doesn't make much difference what else is. When it comes time to sell this is going to be a problem coin if it has a higher grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • A strong VG but not quite a Fine.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I say 10
  • We have guesses ranging from AG3 to strong VG? And I thought we only had issues with MS coins. image
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    nice original coin, obv VG10, rev VG7, would go overall VG8
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Are there any graders out there that can give their two cents?

I am beginning to understand why 1921 coins that seem to have the same amount of wear are graded differently. There are strong preconceptions that coins with a weak date are lower grade, no mater the state of preservation elsewhere. When I bought this I was offered another coin as well, it was a higher grade, and had more wear. I opted for this coin with less wear, but graded lower. The other coin had even less of a legible date.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is Good 4 . Note your reverse has more wear than the VG posted from the Heritage Auction earlier in the thread. Still a nice original looking coin worthy of a premium.

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    There are a few dates like this in the SLQ series. The 1923 S is another where the weak date doesn't make it a deciding factor on grade.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    thats a PCGS AG-3

...all day , every day

in the low grades , the sole determinate is how much of the date shows

the one linked to Heritage is the exception ........ but it's almost a fine if you don't look at the numerals - or lack there of
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    The actual grade is AG3. I have compared images of this coin to the photograde pics and I am reasonably sure that they match a coin that is graded at least G6. Their pics don't have strong dates, they are similar to mine. Being irratic like the grades seem to be makes me feel like it's a crap-shoot. I appreciate everyone's input.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file