Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just showing off some of my new bust quarters!

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
The top one I sent in for certification, the others I got from forumites. QuarterCollector, abitofthisabitofthat, and baseballabs (respectively.) Thanks guys!!!

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All are fantastic.

Comparing them, the last one looks undergraded a touch.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    outstanding coins and all perfect for the assigned grades. The top 31 though is really awesome in my opinion.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one has the best planchet,nice.
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    I really like those!

This forum needs an "envy" emoticon. image
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fabulos quarters and great pickups, wtg image
  • All i can say is that 1834 is gorgeous. Look at that reverse, and look at the eyebrow, what great strike. That's the one coin i could have kept.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Great group Simon. They all match very well.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    nice continuity. image
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm they don't look new at all, as they are nicely aged! image

I like the die clash on the 1833 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent group! Great color.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! Those are terrific. Congrats.
    Lance.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice group of coins.

I am curious on the 33 B-2
    The obverse shows the clash strongly yet the reverse must have been lapped a ton to
    remove most of the evidence of the clash. Yet the reverse doesn't look too lapped.
    I am not big on this series (but I'm thinking about it) but can I assume that this is a
    different reverse die than the die that clashed so heavily with this obverse?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice group of coins.

The obverse shows the clash strongly yet the reverse must have been lapped a ton to
    remove most of the evidence of the clash. Yet the reverse doesn't look too lapped.
    I am not big on this series (but I'm thinking about it) but can I assume that this is a
    different reverse die than the die that clashed so heavily with this obverse? >>

First off, thanks everyone!

Secondly, you are astute in your observation JRocco. The clash that caused what you see on the obverse of the 1833 B2 was not caused by the reverse you see here. This same obverse die was first married with a different reverse (B1.) The dies rusted, clashed, then was used with the reverse you see here (B2 also known as the O/F sometimes.) This same reverse was used later in 1834 with the B1 of that year. After the 1833 B2 was minted, it was hypothesised by Steve Tompkins (or proven I'm not sure) that the rusted obverse of 1833 was again re-married with the first reverse to create the latest die state of the 1833 B1. Kind of a mess. Essentially the B2 always has a clash, and always has evidence of rusted dies on the obverse. As far as I know the reverse never shows these features until later when it's used in 1834 (and never exhibits rust that I am aware of.) The B2 seems to be the tougher to find of the two varieties, but the toughest state is the B-1 DS-1, the one without the clash or the rust.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice group of coins.

different reverse die than the die that clashed so heavily with this obverse? >>

First off, thanks everyone!

Secondly, you are astute in your observation JRocco. The clash that caused what you see on the obverse of the 1833 B2 was not caused by the reverse you see here. This same obverse die was first married with a different reverse (B1.) The dies rusted, clashed, then was used with the reverse you see here (B2 also known as the O/F sometimes.) This same reverse was used later in 1834 with the B1 of that year. After the 1833 B2 was minted, it was hypothesised by Steve Tompkins (or proven I'm not sure) that the rusted obverse of 1833 was again re-married with the first reverse to create the latest die state of the 1833 B1. Kind of a mess. Essentially the B2 always has a clash, and always has evidence of rusted dies on the obverse. As far as I know the reverse never shows these features until later when it's used in 1834 (and never exhibits rust that I am aware of.) The B2 seems to be the tougher to find of the two varieties, but the toughest state is the B-1 DS-1, the one without the clash or the rust. >>

Oh man
    You are sparking the fire with talk like this.

Thanks for the info as I just love the history behind our early coinage.
    Two thumbs up.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file