Home U.S. Coin Forum

CC Special "Four for the price of three" Question

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
Can the submission include more than 4 coins, and one is just a freebie? Say, 10 coins, and pay for 9? Or must it be for 4 coins only?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good question. I would like to know as well. Could you call PCGS tomorrow and update the thread to let us know? image
    (I may have a group of coins going in soon (didn't use the last CC special due to return cost...let it expire like most even though I had a coin picked out for it) and would like to send in close to a dozen if I can in 1 submission with the free one)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can the submission include more than 4 coins, and one is just a freebie? Say, 10 coins, and pay for 9? Or must it be for 4 coins only? >>

I've also been meaning to call PCGS and ask the same thing, because I have more than 4 to send in.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question...
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hope so and don't see why they wouldn't allow this... unless they really just want to force us to do a separate submission and force another $8 fee on us...
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    You guys must have failed a lot of tests because you didn't read the instructions first. Here is what is posted on our website:

Economy Submission Special: Submit four (4) coins and pay for only three (3)

Please follow the guidelines outlined below to ensure your submission is processed in a timely manner.

Quarterly Special must be submitted on its own submission form
    Choose Standard Economy service level
    Notate "Quarterly Special" on the Other service level line
    Include payment for grading fees (three coins), return shipping fee (four coins), and handling fee
    To determine if your coins qualify for the Economy service level, please click here www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml
    Clearly mark the outside of your package CC Special
    Submission must be postmarked by March 31, 2011

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, looks like a CC Special that will not work for me.

Since I have 8 economy level coins I would like to submit, it appears to be cheaper to put all 8 on a single form and pay for all 8 economy gradings than it is to use the CC Special to submit 4 and pay for 3 and then do a separate submission of 4 coins and pay for 4. The duplicate shipping charge and handling fee exceed the savings of one economy grading. It's too bad I can't submit my 8 on one order and pay for 7, but I guess them be the rules. Thanks again.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems logical to expect that if you submitted at least four coins, one of them would be free, whether you submit 4 or 400.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK then.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification...
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Oh, so that's the radical new CC idea... instead of only having to worry whether you have a coin that matches that quarter's special, now you have to have an exact number of coins that matches that quarter's special... radical! image

I think they should get rid of the quarterly special all together. I expect it causes more harm than good for the retention of most CC members... this may be the poster child for the law of diminishing returns.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't make sense to me either. I sure do miss the old CC specials though. I thought it was neat to go out and find something worthy of a submission. Kinda of a game for me.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I have about 40 economy coins to send in at the moment.

40 x 18 = $720 + $8 fee plus, say, $25 FedEx = $753

OR...

36 x 18 = 648 + $8 + $25 = 681 PLUS 3 x 18 = 54 + $8 + $25 = $87 plus the $681 = total cost of $768 to get the same # of coins graded.

So this doesn't make any sense to me to take advantage of.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

• Reminds me of a few changes Ebay has made in the last couple years

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file