Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hi all. First Post.

Just wanted to check in and say hi for the first time.

I've been lurking for the past couple of years and finally decided to jump in.

Here's a little about myself:

I've been collecting off and on since 1974 and generally have an attraction to nice Mint State coins. Nothing really big though, since I don't have deep pockets but it is fun to dream a little.

I completed a set of MS Franklin Halves (Raw) about 20 years ago that I have since sold.
I have started on MS Classic Commerative Halves on a couple of occasions, but never got too far with it. I love the Oregon Trail though and kept it along with a handful of others when I sold out.
I did MS Peace Dollars for a while, but sold them several years ago too.
What can I say, I love all coins and would probably have a decent collection if I can manage to keep my coins.

After a few years off, I restarted things a couple of years ago and have been a collector and student of Buffalo Nickels. I still have a lot to learn about this series. While Buffalos are my primary focus for now, I would love to pick up some nice type coins from time to time.

This is a great forum with a lot of great folks and I look forward to making a positive contribution and getting your feedback.

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome . . .

Your handle is also the same name as a great album by the Rippingtons . .

Have fun . .learn much . .and consult the Boards for anything numismatic!

Drunner
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! This place is a true melting pot. You'll love it. Buffaloes are a great series to collect. One of our nicest coins.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Welcome to the boards,you'll find plenty of info,and feedback.......-29 here in Ft. Yukon
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I will be the first to welcome you to the forum. However, how could you stay away that long and lurk?

I hope your time interacting with the forum will bring you a lot of pleasure and education...I hope the same for myself!

Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.......-29 here in Ft. Yukon >>

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for postingimage
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • We're a very serious bunch of sophisticated and educated people here studying and discussing only serious topics related to US coins, so please remember:

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forums, BlackDiamond! I hope you find them enjoyable and enlightening.

I like Buffaloes too!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Oh, and by the way.......

• With a name like Black Diamond, how could your focus be anywhere but on Buffalo Nickels.
    Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your stay.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • welcome blackdiamond. image

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    welcome to the forums

you probably already know the name of the 'model' on the reverse of the buffalo nickelimage
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!image

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Welcome. As a fellow collector, there is one thing I don't understand. How do you sell coins? Its like giving up your kids. image
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to all the flotsam and jetsam.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    welcome.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome to all the flotsam and jetsam. >>

What WJ said!!!!!! image

• I noticed that you just started collecting in 1974, so I thought I would give you the forum's standard "Advanced Guide to Coin Buying"......it is guarenteed to keep you from getting ripped off:

Grade: A coin's grade is very important. Coin grading measures how much wear a coin has. The more wear a coin has, the lower its grade. Uncirculated coins have no wear whatsoever.

Eye Appeal: Eye appeal is a highly subjective thing in coin collecting. However, coins with lots of nicks, cuts, scrapes, and bruises tend to rank very low in the eye appeal category for most coin collectors.

The location of these scratches, lines, and other imperfections also matter; a scrape across lettering or the date on a coin is much more upsetting to most coin collectors than the same damage hidden among the feathers on an eagle.

Color: Coins that are unusually dark are not as highly regarded as coins with normal color for their type. Coins that are evenly toned tend to have more buyers than coins that are splotchy in color.

Price: Yes, price does mean something to coin collectors, too! Be sure to check coin price guides, because they inform coin collectors what the current going rate is for most coins. While coin collectors are often willing to pay more than average for a really important coin or one which is better than most in its grade, nobody wants to get ripped off, either!

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Hanging out the big Welcome sign!

Ed
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage
    imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! Are you a downhill skier too?
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome...incredible that that handle hasn't been claimed before you, great choice!
  • Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the forum. I'm already getting some good feedback from you guys.

crazyhounddog - Nice pics of some nice buffs. I wish I had your photograhy skills.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome !!

Love the Avatar and the Handle !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before I opened this thread, I thought, "Hm, this newbie has the name 'BlackDiamond'- he'd better have a bison as an avatar."

And lo and behold, you do. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Welcome!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums diamond. youll have a great time here. enjoy image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

like so many of us, getting in and out of coins at different time in our lives.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image and your not limited to nickels.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that there are some Buffalo Nickel guys around here!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    image and welcome to the boards.

Mike
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Welcome. As a fellow collector, there is one thing I don't understand. How do you sell coins? Its like giving up your kids. image >>

I only sell coins when I upgrade old coins... just like my children! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Nice Post.

• << <i>image and your not limited to nickels.
    image >>

You are correct. Nice gold Buffalo.

I got an Unc 2008 $10 Buffalo from the Mint when I heard the fractionals were going to be a one year only issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file