Home U.S. Coin Forum

2nd edition of Bowers's "Guide Book of Gold Dollars"

Whitman Publishing has released the second edition of A Guide Book of Gold Dollars, by Q. David Bowers with a foreword by David W. Akers. Members of the American Numismatic Association can borrow the 288-page book for free from the ANA's Dwight N. Manley Numismatic Library.

United States gold dollars are a fascinating and highly collectible series. In A Guide Book of Gold Dollars, Q. David Bowers—the “Dean of American Numismatics” and the most prolific numismatic author of all time—shares tips for smart collecting: how to evaluate quality, determine value, understand the market, and make good buys. Along the way Bowers explains why, “in all of American numismatics, the gold dollar possesses a special charm.”

Readers learn how the history of the nation shaped the coin’s design and production—how the first gold dollars were made by a private coiner from gold mined in Georgia; why some thought only second-rate countries issued such small gold coins; what the public thought of the tiny, delicate, yet highly practical coins; and the effects the Gold Rush, the Civil War, political controversy, monetary crises, and other factors had on the coinage.

Bowers provides a wealth of information on each issue: mintages, certified populations, field populations (number of surviving coins), grading information, die characteristics, market values, auction records, keys to collecting, and more. Enlarged photographs illustrate each date and mintmark. A historical backdrop of what was going on in America during each year makes this book a treat for anyone interested in our nation’s history.

Gold expert David Akers calls the Guide Book of Gold Dollars “a wonderful book—in fact, the finest volume that Dave Bowers has yet written in the Official Red Book series.”

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis, other than the updated pricing, is there any new content in the book?
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    Book 'em Den-O

www.brunkauctions.com

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dennis, other than the updated pricing, is there any new content in the book? >>

The certified populations are updated . . . there are numerous small substantive (editorial) changes . . . eight pages of updated auction records . . . I would have to check my notes for more details, but that's what immediately comes to mind.

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Book 'em Den-O >>

LOL! I'm a life member of the Original Hobo Nickel Society. My hobo handle is "Books."

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill vouch for the value of this Book!

Certainly helped me a lot to learn the series!
  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, great book with tons of information. I own the first edition and have compared it to the 2nd, and for me it did not change enough to justify buying the new one.
    liefgold
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ill vouch for the value of this Book!

Certainly helped me a lot to learn the series! >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file