Home U.S. Coin Forum

A pricey eBay Hobo nickel

This looks like a pretty ordinary older hobo nickel to me. Nicely done as many of the older ones are. Not a scarce date by any means. Any opinions? Sorry, I haven't made a link yet. Here is the sale number: 130473316543

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Started at $100 and climbed to the same height that the pictures were taken from. Doesn't make sense to me either.
  • It seems a little pricey but then again I have no idea on the current price of them.
    It is a cool coin though.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Wow, $760 and a few hours to go.

Interesting!
    Ed
  • wow.......up to $760....looks like (2) folks really want it.

Wow, $760 and a few hours to go.....GrumpyEd, you beat me to it, I guess I'll have to learn to type with more then (1) finger.image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad i wasent one of the two. thats wayyyyyyyy over budget for me
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one by the same artist from the huge Bill Fivaz collection, it was sold by Heritage for almost $375 four years ago. The style is distinctive enough that the artist has been named "Needle Ear", and as a recognized early carver his work would seem to garner a premium over an unknown carver from the same era. I assume at least two people recognized his work and bid that coin up.

Edited to add another helpful link: characteristics of Needle Ear hobo nickels

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate this place sometimes...

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Sean. Great response!
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Sean, excellent job with the buffalo hobo nickel attribution. I believe you are spot on!

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really hate this place sometimes...

Sean Reynolds >>

I went to the links you provided and just said, oh wow, he was right. I did not respond then, but appreciate the work and intuitiveness of your abilities. I definitely learned something today...well, err, yesterday.

Thank you!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file