Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has Mint production plus slabbing changed how we collect?

On another thread, the question was raised as to why the relatively low mintage (about 800k) 2009 Mint Sets, with copper lincolns, haven't taken off on the secondary market?

To me this raises a long-standing question. Has the plethora of Mint offerings over the last decade damaged the cohesiveness of the hobby? Eric has previously described the change from series to type collecting, but even type collecting requires a level of focus and dedication that I'm not sure exists.

I've long suspected that the Mint's many offerings have simply fractionalized the market... in terms of Moderns, there seems to be a devoted base for ASEs, a smaller base for AGEs, less still for APEs or First Spouse coins (understandable given the higher cost), and outside of that, some who buy a hodgepodge of modern offerings, without the focus needed or intent to acquire a full set of anything.

I also think slabbing, despite its many benefits, has inadvertently contributed to this. Most of us are no longer filling holes in albums, and for all the damage done by the lowly coin album (fingerprints, toning, etc.), it certainly did support series collecting and the fill-the-gap mentality. Now we accumulate slabs, each coin stands in isolation, an entity unto itself. That, plus the impracticality, if not impossibility, of keeping up with all the Mint throws at us... well. Among classic collectors, I suppose series collectors are alive and well. Among moderns, there are definitely a few series that have a solid base - Silver Eagles first and foremost, which makes the decision to skip 2009 all the worse. Outside of that, though, I think all the offerings, including the 50 state quarters, park quarters, etc., may prove to have overwhelmed a good number of us.
Dan

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file