Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question about body bags...

When a coin is body bagged (yes, my very first submission had a body bagged coin :frown, they assign a cert number to it? Why is that? Does that mean I can add the coin to a registry set?

Also, what does "environmental damage" mean? Wouldn't you expect some sort of environmental damage to a coin that is 204 years old?

Thanks for the help!

currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay

Comments

• Options
    When a coin is bodybagged, it usually means that there is some sort of damage to the coin that could change the value and appearance of the coin overtime so they don't put it in a slab. "environmental damage" means like corrosion on the coin or PVC damage. It can happen to any coin that isn't properly stored and the PVC damage usually comes from over exporsure in soft flips.
    Alan Bierlein

Tradelist

Refs: epag64, ahares, beave, airjordan22, skivermont3, bigshane, KLS23, Chillinbij, dewey, yanksfan, woodson24kg, danmarinocollector, NBAsteve, ejones06, clearandvalid, JRCCRUM, rooks, koolman2005, Lway7Fan, Bobstar, vittleboy, beasport, burress80, johnsauc, danotoriuos, goyanks01, whitetornado, richpf32
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every coin sent to PCGS for grading has a certification number generated for it, regardless of if it ends up in a slab or in a bag. You can't register your coin since there is no grade attached to it and also since there is a record at PCGS of this certification number being attached to a bagged coin. All you have to do is type in the certification number in the PCGS Cert Verification area and it will tell you the date, type and reason for no grade. It could be that your coin is corroded, has verdegris or some other problem.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson