Home U.S. Coin Forum

2010 Silver Proof Set

I have a question about the 2010 silver set. I ordered late in the year because I also like to get the first spouse bronze medals and later in Dec. every year they come all in one set. Well my (overpriced) silver proof set came in and the Lincoln dollar was horrible. A huge dark stain over his right eye, eyebrow and into his ear and the field. Huge stain. I'm wanting to send it back but since I ordered so late in the year, it's 2011 now. If I send it back will I get it replaced? Or is it too late now for them to issue a replacement? I still don't see how they can send that out like that without somebody noticing.

Comments

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I don't know about the returns. My guess would be that if they are still for sale on the Mint's site, they will be able
    to replace them. I think though, that there is a 3 or 7 day return policy.
  • JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Based on what I've heard about the quality control issues at the US Mint, they should have a replacement in the mail as soon as you return the set you have. I don't think many are purchasing the proof-clad set.
    oklahomakid
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you have 7 days from the date of delivery to do any returns.

I feel comfortable saying that you will get a replacement if you return it. You may go ahead and call the 800# and have them make a note in the order that hyou are returning for replacement.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Thanks. I think I'll try calling. I have called them a couple of times in the past years without too much luck on anything. At least maybe they will know whether I can get the replacement set. I appreciate everybody's input. I just hate to pay 60 bucks plus postage to a dealer for something that's so overpriced in the beginning anyway. If I can't get it replaced I'll probably just keep it in spite of the spot on the Lincoln.
  • Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Could buy another one off ebay for a few bucks more over the shipping cost back to the mint

i know its not right but .......... image
    You may try just ordering a set of Pres. proofs for the clean lincoln.

it might save you some grief all the way around.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • But it's 2011 now. Do they still sell 2010 stuff?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

You should be able to just buy the Lincoln on ebay that someone else has broken out of a set.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...welcome to the forums. and sorry to hear of the sub-par proof set that you received. it's experiences like yours that

causes collectors to cancel their prescriptions from the mint and do their shopping at a B&M dealer. in many cases they

cost less plus you have the advantage of seeing the product before you buy. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>You should be able to just buy the Lincoln on ebay that someone else has broken out of a set. >>

another good suggestion.

• Made the call and the do still sell them. Should have checked myself. Sorry. And thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file