Home U.S. Coin Forum

1. Satisfy your curiosity....and epiphenomenally send someone else's money to PCGS by...

1. Satisfy your curiosity....and epiphenomenally send someone else's money to PCGS by clicking on some google ads......and don't just click on them, look at them...that's what they're paying for. (Suggested methodology: right click, select "open link in new tab"...that way you can do 10 quickies and not be re-directed away from this page....then when they open you can look at them instead of waiting for them to open.)

2. STATE HOW MANY TIMES YOU CLICKED ON A GOOGLE AD......

Now, someone can accuse me of "kissing the arse of PCGS". (In law school we were taught to pre-empt stupid but likely attacks. In that vein, my first email address as a personal injury lawyer was "snakesq@aol.com".......snakesq....snake and the abbreviation for esquire.....)

3..and then, tell a joke about coins OR pose a riddle about coins OR post an image of an incredible coin (so this thread stays in compliance with the "your threads need to be about coins" requirement)

Ok...I clicked on 10 google ads (I liked Carter Numismatics and HLRC and there was also an interesting one about estate jewelry) and here's my riddle:

Two coins add up to 30 cents, and one is not a nickel. What are they?

Answer:

A: A quarter and a nickel. The quarter isn't a nickel.

(There's also another solution...what is it?)

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Kissing the arse of PCGS?

Edited to add: How many shares of CU did you purchase? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Why did I know it was going to be you? Where's your riddle or joke?
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twenty cent piece and a Ten cent piece.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Answer:

A: A quarter and a nickel. The quarter isn't a nickel.

(There's also another solution...what is it?) >>

Two 15 cent pieces and I really want a year 2000 15 cent piece if you know where I can find one.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Two coins add up to 30 cents, and one is not a nickel. What are they? >>

A penny, and a 1972 dime with a Roosevelt imperfection, today worth exactly twenty nine cents.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
    If you fly to London as an American and when you land you go to the bathroom... when you come out of the bathroom you're still an American; what were you when you were in the bathroom?

European (on a coin)
  • Ladies....this is a way for you to show your appreciation to the folks that provide this forum to us.....don't be a bunch of ninnies.
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277
    This is against google tos. I'd recommend not doing it. By the way those 10 clicks won't count. 2. Or 3 might.. Regardless, google is very strict about their tos.
    I started a joke, which started the whole world crying, But I didn't see that the joke was on me,...
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277
    Also one more thing. You cost those people advertising money. Say my budget was 500 a day for advertising, each click would lower that by whatever the current bid is. I get clicks on my website that are anywhere from 10 cents to 5 dollars. It all depends what the advertiser is paying. Google isn't the one paying, it's the advertiser...
    You walk into a dark room in which one hundred coins are scattered on the floor. Ten of them have "heads" up and ninety have "tails" up.

You need to separate the coins into two groups so that there are an equal number of "heads" up in each group.

How can this be accomplished?
    You have 9 dirty gold coins.

All 9 coins look exactly the same (courtesy of a good coin doctor) but one coin is a fake and it is either lighter or heavier than the other 8 coins.

You have a balance type scale with two trays. You can only load the scale twice.

How can you determine which gold coin is fake?
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    If I had an ad placed with Google, I sure do not want you clicking 10 at a time for quick looks. The person advertising either pays per click, or has prepaid for clicks. One is just wasting the advertiser money by opening up a bunch at once and unless it is a genuine interest and look, then it is a waste.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "epiphenomenally". Now there's a word.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thank you Lord.

With regard to these statements:

"This is against google tos. I'd recommend not doing it. By the way those 10 clicks won't count. 2. Or 3 might.. Regardless, google is very strict about their tos."

"Also one more thing. You cost those people advertising money. Say my budget was 500 a day for advertising, each click would lower that by whatever the current bid is. I get clicks on my website that are anywhere from 10 cents to 5 dollars. It all depends what the advertiser is paying. Google isn't the one paying, it's the advertiser... "

"If I had an ad placed with Google, I sure do not want you clicking 10 at a time for quick looks. The person advertising either pays per click, or has prepaid for clicks. One is just wasting the advertiser money by opening up a bunch at once and unless it is a genuine interest and look, then it is a waste."

I said (for those of you who have a hard time understanding the English language maybe some repetition is in order): "and don't just click on them, look at them". I did not say click on "an ad" 10 times.

Some of you might do well to think before you post, or spend more time studying the English language AND business. Here are some things you might want to know:

People advertise because they want people to come to their websites. They want exposure. If no one clicks on their ads, they don't get any exposure. Exposure means they get targeted people to view their websites which results in sales. If no one goes to their website, they can not sell anything. People who go to their websites might buy something. As the number of people who visit their websites grows, so does the probability that their sales will increase.

Not everyone is stupid. Most advertisers know that most people who come to their websites will not buy anything. People bid on Googleads. Some personal injury lawyers pay $35 per click. If 1000 people come to their website and one hires them and their case settles for 3 million dollars, they make more than the $35,000 that they spent getting that one client. Some coin dealers may spend 25 cents per click. If 1,000 people visit their website and they pick up one client who makes them $1,000 a year for the next year, they will have made more money than they spent on advertising.

Are you learning anything?

• << <i>You have 9 dirty gold coins.

All 9 coins look exactly the same (courtesy of a good coin doctor) but one coin is a fake and it is either lighter or heavier than the other 8 coins.

You have a balance type scale with two trays. You can only load the scale twice.

How can you determine which gold coin is fake? >>

Hmm, unless there is something im missing, I think the riddle has to commit to either heavier or lighter or else 2 weigh ins wont be enough:

Weigh coins 1-3 vs coins 4-6 If equal weigh coin 7 vs coin 8 if equal coin 9 is the fake = 2 weigh ins and only way it would work.
    (you could also do 1-4 vs 5-8 and if equal you can get coin 9 is the fake with 1 weigh in)

If coins 7 vs 8 was not equal, you still dont know which is the fake, lighter or heavier, unless you weigh one more time agasint any coin from 1-6 or 9.

If 1-3 vs 4-6 are not equal how do you isolate one set to being the correct one? Both the lighter and the heavier one could be one contianing the fake thus one more weigh in wont isolate every possible case.

I think you need 3 weigh ins minimum with the added lighter or heavier variable.
    Nope, you only need to load the scale twice.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    weigh 1-3 vs 4-6. If equal, weigh 7 vs 8. If equal, 9 is the fake. If unequal, weigh the first two of the lighter set. If equal, the 3rd coin in that set is the fake.

oops, you'd have to know if it's lighter or heavier for that method

• << <i>weigh 1-3 vs 4-6. If equal, weigh 7 vs 8. If equal, 9 is the fake. If unequal, weigh the first two of the lighter set. If equal, the 3rd coin in that set is the fake.

oops, you'd have to know if it's lighter or heavier for that method >>

That is the traditional answer where there is no added variable that the coin might be heavier OR lighter. This added variable forces a 3rd weigh in. I majored in logic and have seen this problem many times and it always has to be heavier OR lighter, that must be established before hand otherwise you cant do it in 2 weigh ins. the first weight in doesnt narrow the 6 coins enough to knowing which set of 3 is the wrong one. I am curious to see if there is a way to do it this way, I dont think there is.

llafoe PM me your answer if you dont mind.

<< <i>Thank you Lord.

With regard to these statements:

"This is against google tos. I'd recommend not doing it. By the way those 10 clicks won't count. 2. Or 3 might.. Regardless, google is very strict about their tos."

"Also one more thing. You cost those people advertising money. Say my budget was 500 a day for advertising, each click would lower that by whatever the current bid is. I get clicks on my website that are anywhere from 10 cents to 5 dollars. It all depends what the advertiser is paying. Google isn't the one paying, it's the advertiser... "

"If I had an ad placed with Google, I sure do not want you clicking 10 at a time for quick looks. The person advertising either pays per click, or has prepaid for clicks. One is just wasting the advertiser money by opening up a bunch at once and unless it is a genuine interest and look, then it is a waste."

I said (for those of you who have a hard time understanding the English language maybe some repetition is in order): "and don't just click on them, look at them". I did not say click on "an ad" 10 times.

Some of you might do well to think before you post, or spend more time studying the English language AND business. Here are some things you might want to know:

People advertise because they want people to come to their websites. They want exposure. If no one clicks on their ads, they don't get any exposure. Exposure means they get targeted people to view their websites which results in sales. If no one goes to their website, they can not sell anything. People who go to their websites might buy something. As the number of people who visit their websites grows, so does the probability that their sales will increase.

Not everyone is stupid. Most advertisers know that most people who come to their websites will not buy anything. People bid on Googleads. Some personal injury lawyers pay $35 per click. If 1000 people come to their website and one hires them and their case settles for 3 million dollars, they make more than the $35,000 that they spent getting that one client. Some coin dealers may spend 25 cents per click. If 1,000 people visit their website and they pick up one client who makes them $1,000 a year for the next year, they will have made more money than they spent on advertising.

Are you learning anything? >>

Wow, in reading your other posts it sounds like you would like to spur conversation and debate and in a positive way. Yet when I made my point you seem to reply a bit rudely. All I meant was you suggested opening up 10 google ad links for quickies. Your word not mine. My point was it is a waste for a person to quickly click and view a page if they really are not all interested and are opening up 10 for quickies. Yes, I agree sites want traffic and any is better than zero. But for those that pay for clicks, it is a waste in my opinion for the person who paid for the clicks to have 10 at a time for quickies. I know you didn't say nor mean 10 all at one site either. Google places ads here based on keywords and a targeted audience. When I click on ads which I always have occasionaly, it was a reason. It interested me and I gave the site a real look. Therefore, the owner of the site had either a few pennies or dollars well spent.

Lastly, a thoughtful and polite conversation is one that is not condescending. I do know English, do think before I post, and I know business quite well actually. As far as learning, it is continual.

Thanks
  • OK.....I see where the problem lies....

I meant "quickie" as applied to the amount of time it takes to click open ten ads....that's why I prefaced it with the word "methodologies". Since there are four verbs in the preceding line, I should have identified the verb that methodology applied to....you applied it to "look" when I applied it to "click".

My apologies for carelessly communicating and also I extend my apologies for being less polite than I should have been. (I do in fact want to spur conversation and debate and in a positive way but sometimes I unfortunately totally fail!)

(Suggested Methodology for quickly opening multiple web sites: including but not limited to google ads: Right click, select Open Link in New Tab: this allows you to open many sites/ads simultaneously without being taken away from the forum page. The sites/ads open up while you are occupied at the forum and then you can go and leisurely read the sites when you are inclined.

Left click on them, and you replace the forum with the new site/ad which slowly opens while you wait. Then, to open another site/ad, you have to go back to the forum, find another site that interests you and then click and repeat. )

Understood, thanks. image
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned, you should really only click on the ad if you are potentially serious about it. What they really want to do is make a SALE. That's the goal.

There are folks in China, specifically hired to click on ads so that the ads get clicked on. This isn't exactly a healthy use of the system. And a lot of effort is put into the ad system to attempt to beat such behavior, because it can needlessly costs advertisers for 'fake clicks'.
    A businessman wants their ad dollars spent wisely, not wasted. Waste is inevitable. Why contribute to waste?

• "you should really only click on the ad if you are potentially serious"

I totally agree.

I'm was hoping and expecting (and still hope and expect) that quite a number of people here on the US Coins forum might find themselves potentially serious(ly interested) in at least a few of the following ads that appear regularly on my forum page, since we often discuss gold coins, gold, coin dealers and certified coins, and I thought it appropriate that I encourage clicking on the ads for everyone's benefit:

Gold Coins Reputable Dealer, Fast Delivery Gold & Silver Coins, Gold IRA
    Gold Eagles, US Mint Coin
    Buy Gold Bullion
    Coin Dealer Project Blog
    Don’t Buy Certified Coins

But please, don't click on any ads only to get revenues for PCGS. If you are broke, homeless and unemployed and anticipate and hope that that condition won't change, please don't click on any of the google ads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file