Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football and leaving early

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has College Football become too opportunistic?

Players leaving too early for the NFL Draft-

Coaches that move on that leave recruits?

Are things out of control?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think it's been the same way for 5-10 years, no!?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    true...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Too early? They either stay 3 years or 4. It's not like stupid college basketball where everyone is "one and done" as it's been coined. To a point, yes, I think too many leave after their Junior year to cash in.

As for coaches, that's a whole different story. There have been so many failures for college coaches that had a few good years in the NCAA and thought they could be coaches of men, it amazes me that there's still talk every year of someone jumping to the NFL.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has College Football become too opportunistic?

Are things out of control? >>

No things are not out of control. Players have been leaving early for nearly 30 years. Coaches have always been on the look out for a better job. Why wouldn't they?
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has College Football become too opportunistic?

Are things out of control? >>

Regarding coaches that leave before thier contract is up, the players that that coach recruited should be able to transfer to another D1 school without having to sit out a year. Thats fair for all involved. Regarding players leaving too early for the draft....why does anyone think they have the right to condemn a guy for making a living? Not everyone at your company has a 4yr degree and it shouldn't be a prerequisite for the NFL either. The rules that the NCAA and NFL have in place (you have to stay through your junior year), in my opinion, infringe on the rights of athletes. Talent and the ability to contribute should dictate who plays in the NFL, not age or some dumb rule put in place by money grabbers at the NCAA. Anyone in any industry in the US can file an age discrimination lawsuit if a corporation claims they are too old or too young....however athletes trying to turn pro are denied that ability.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking the "right to make a living thing" to the extreme, why have any rule at all?

LeBron James could have played in the NBA and probably been starting in the All Star game when he was a sophmore or junior in high school at 15, 16 or 17 years of age. If he left high school to pay int he NBA after his junior year and the NBA rule precluded him from being allowed to play in the NBA, his "right to make a living" was violated, right? Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, Kevin Durant and countless other player going back to Moses Malone, Daryl Dawkins and Wilt Chamberlain were all good enough to play in the NBA right our of high school and even before they finished high school. Why should high school players with NBA talent not be able to play in the NBA so that they can make a living?

D.J. Williams of the Denver Broncos played at De LaSalle high school and when he graduated he was so physically gifted and developed that many said he was good enough at 18 years of age to play in the NFL. He went to Miami and one of the best players in college football. The NFL would not have allowed him to play in the NFL after he graduated high school. Did the NFL violate his "right to make a living"?

Baseball and hockey players are drafted out of high school and start playing pro ball immediately. Some are good enough to play minor league and even major league ball right of out high school [and even while in high school]. Why is this allowed in baseball and hockey, but not in football and basketball?

Soccer is the same way. High schoolers with the talent play pro soccer. Probably the same in other pro sports.

If LeBron James as a seventh or eighth grader was 6'6" and 230 lbs with NBA skills, why should he not have the right to skip high school to join the NBA and make a living? What about him being a 6'6" 5th grader with NBA skills? Does he have the right to skip middle school to join the NBA to make a living?

There is no answer that will satisfy everyone. On rare occasion you see a freakazoid athlete who has the physical size and skills and talent to play pro sports as a young teenager. So what. Make the rules and live with them. Who cares if a LeBron James has to wait until after he graduates high school or is one year out of high school before he can play in the NBA.

If such an athlete is so concerned about "making a living", go get a full time job at a grocery store making $10.00 per hour and work full time until you can go pro. Doing so will allow you to make a living [and pay your bills], just not the type of living a multimillion dollar contract will bring.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'm going by memory so if I'm mistaken, sorry in advance.

Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams sued the NFL for their age/playing restrictions. Both players were denied entrance and had to find other avenues to make a living.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm going by memory so if I'm mistaken, sorry in advance.

Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams sued the NFL for their age/playing restrictions. Both players were denied entrance and had to find other avenues to make a living. >>

Yes, I think the courts ruled that the draft was collectively bargained and therefore the rules could only change via the CBA.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I think the NCAA has made it this way. Their rules are so tight on the players that they should look to leaving when they can.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I think the NCAA has made it this way. Their rules are so tight on the players that they should look to leaving when they can. >>

For the very elite, I agree. For 95%+ of the athletes, they get a free paid education that can set them up for life if they do it right. ALl the talk I hear about athletes being treated like endentured servants is laughable.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    I would say at least make them "pay the college" for breaking the contract to play the sport for 4 years. I know if would be chump change, but at least it would teach them to keep a contract maybe.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say at least make them "pay the college" for breaking the contract to play the sport for 4 years. I know if would be chump change, but at least it would teach them to keep a contract maybe. >>

Scholarships are for 1 year only. They are breaking nothing by leaving early.

Tabe